Rear brake pipes

Tritonkev

Just done all my brake pipe two weeks ago and all done in copper. Deffo easy to work with and will last me out. 

Be careful with the plastic clips as they will be very brittle now. A couple of mine broke. 

Good luck. 

being told by garage that it will need an engine drop so will be fair number of hours to do.  is this right?  I thought I read somewhere that you can do it with Cunifer without dropping.   garage wants to quote me "genuine brake pipes not copper roll looks cheap and devalues motor".   

thoughts? 

12 minutes ago, thefunkygibbon said:

being told by garage that it will need an engine drop so will be fair number of hours to do.  is this right?  I thought I read somewhere that you can do it with Cunifer without dropping.   garage wants to quote me "genuine brake pipes not copper roll looks cheap and devalues motor".   

thoughts? 

Well bearing in mind that the pipe is so inaccessible and out of sight that they think it needs an engine drop I'm surprised that they're concerned about its aesthetics! 

44 minutes ago, thefunkygibbon said:

thoughts? 

There is only one brake pipe that goes over the gearbox, that would probably be easier with the gearbox out.  But others have done it with it still in place, I have also seen a post where someone has replaced this pipe with a custom braided brake line.

As for devaluing the car, what sort of brake pipes do you think they use when they restore old Porsches, which are probably 10 x the value of Boxster.  I cant see it devaluing the car, but could look cheap if they are poorly made.

I have replaced my front to rear brake pipes, with Cunifer.  But I did use genuine pipes for the flexible hose to the calliper.

Here is a short video of my brake pipes after they were replaced by me, this was the first time I have ever made and fitted brake pipes.  Think they look quite professional myself.

https://youtu.be/yVxLq2B7cfA

4 hours ago, thefunkygibbon said:

thoughts? 

If you use OE steel pipes this will be true, but on a 1999 Boxster nobody is going to worry about copper brake lines, probably see them as a plus since they've obviously been replaced. It's straightforward to do in copper with the engine/gearbox in situ, you just remove the top engine cover and feed in the pipe from the top and all the way out through the wheelarch and then reverse and feed it back into the other wheelarch. You can then bend in situ to attach to clips etc. Just need to remember where the old line went as it's not obvious once you've removed the old one.

On 6/19/2019 at 4:58 PM, thefunkygibbon said:

thank you guys,  much appreciated and clarifies what I suspected from what I thought I read previously.  😁

They are not hard to do just more fiddly than anything. 

As for dropping the engine, that's deffo not needed.

As for removing the gearbox, the pipe is over the back of the engine and the gearbox out wouldn't really make it much easier. Crazy idea. Cash hunting in think. 

I've done all mine. Didn't find it hard at all. 

Archived