Boxster back to a flat six?

noggieboxa

Probably already posted somewhere else on the site, but thought this might be of interest to the 981 community.......

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-porsche/porsche-718s-may-return-to-flat-six-power/40895 

I don't think there is any 'might' about it..

My dealer said the Boxster/Cayman 6 will replace the GTS 4 pot turbo & details will be announced with sensible ordering protocol (ie you just turn up and buy one!) later in the year.

I for one am very interested to see how much 'better' it is over my 981 BGTS..  I'm guessing it will be c.365 - 385bhp ish to keep distance between the GT4 and perhaps a little muffled due to emissions gubbins, but should be a lovely car I reckon and not that the current 718 GTS isn't already a lovely car I might add..

The 'Boxster Touring' was spied a few months ago and video and photos shared on this site*. It showed a 718 with the rear diffuser and exhausts of the Spyder/GT4, but with the conventional soft top of the regular Boxster, and the suggestion was that it would be the 4.0 flat 6 of the Spyder, possibly detuned slightly.

Porsche have definitely heard the objections to the 4. It's not that it's a bad engine, or that 4-cyl engines are bad per se (I can think of many wonderful 4s), it's that this installation is almost devoid of character. That plays very badly when the previous three generations of Boxster had such characterful engines.

Early reports of the 718 GT4/Spyder note that even this engine loses a bit on the character stakes compared to the 981 3.8 iteration, mainly due to newer emissions and noise regulations. But the idea of a mild hybrid (4WD?) 983 generation sounds intriguing!

* Pictures here: https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1121829_2020-porsche-718-boxster-touring-spy-shots

I've just had my 981 serviced at Solihull OPC today. They lent me a 718GTS. I'm so glad I have a 6 cylinder car. Full report to follow when I have time. Although I got put down for mentioning that Porsche were going to go back to 6 cylinders, apparently they are listening to "customer feedback".

My thoughts too, we have had a couple of 718's and find them very capable but dull in the soundtrack.

I would never buy a f4 but a 718 f6 would get my attention.

Time to expand on my comment above. The kind OPC lent me a 718GTS for the day when my 981S went in for it's service.

The car looked great, a 19 plate with just over 6,000 miles. Allegedly more powerful than mine and on start up and idle, the car sounds great. It had a couple of neat features mine doesn't have. For a start, the steering wheel is nicer than the older model and has remotes for the audio/nav etc and a rotating knob bottom right corner of the wheel centre for the sport mode with a central button when pushed, gives you 20 seconds of sport mode boost for overtaking etc.

Moving along in traffic, the exhaust tone is certainly nice but when pushed a little, the 4 cylinder engine just sounds harsh. There is plenty of rattling from it, and at times the noises sounded like an exhaust box banging the bodywork. It doesn't sound refined enough to me. It reminded me of overtuned Fords of my youth, rattling 4 cylinders being pushed to an inch of their life. There didn't seem to be the effortless torque of the 6 cylinder and motorway cruising just wasn't as quiet or smooth. I know it's the GTS model but I love the way mine is so quiet and effortless unless you want it to be a beast, whereas the GTS just sounds like it's working all the time.

I covered about 60 miles on a mix of roads inc a decent motorway stretch. The Cayman is a nice car and I hadn't ever considered on but it is certainly a nice "mini 911". Once it's got a 6 cylinder Boxer engine, I'm sure it will be fine, just not my cup of tea in present form.

To pass the day, I went to the Motor Museum in Gaydon then up to the Land Rover Experience in Solihull where I had a half day Range Rover Sport one on one experience for a last minute 60% off deal. Very capable vehicle for proper off road but not tempted to replace my CRV just yet!

gts1.jpg

Broxie, I'm a little bit bemused at your description of effortless torque in your 981. I too have a 981 GTS and the one thing it doesn't have is effortless torque. Yes it's got plenty of power when you thrash the sh1t out of it but it's pretty gutless below 4-5000 revs. I'm in no way apologising for the 718 btw, I was disappointed when I had one for a day. I found the engine underwhelming considering it's a turbo. I would qualify all this however as my daily is a mapped Golf R putting out 400 lbft of torque, now that DOES have effortless torque. I also have a V10 Plus which has more torque than the GTS but you do have to be "spirited" in your driving to use the torque.

Having said all that, I am going to be extremely interested in the new 718-6 as a 718 with it's advantages (quicker steering and better media system) combined with the 6 noise and a bit more go than the 981 should be right up my street, even if the noise won't be quite as glorious.

On 9/9/2019 at 6:55 PM, Broxie said:

I've just had my 981 serviced at Solihull OPC today. They lent me a 718GTS. I'm so glad I have a 6 cylinder car. Full report to follow when I have time. Although I got put down for mentioning that Porsche were going to go back to 6 cylinders, apparently they are listening to "customer feedback".

Customer feedback when have Porsche ever repsonded to that? The 718 is the lowest seller in Porsches range but big in China already has outsold the 981. Its a global car . If they listen to customer feedback what are they going to do about the new 911? Its extremely quiet and thats the feedback they are getting. The car is what it is and has brought down the emissions for the brand which gives it the opportunity for other niche models with a 6 cylinder 

Its seems as its a stop gap car now as the market has changed. The new model will be hybrid or fully electric thats pretty much a gimme. 

2 hours ago, DaveGrohl said:

Broxie, I'm a little bit bemused at your description of effortless torque in your 981. I too have a 981 GTS and the one thing it doesn't have is effortless torque. Yes it's got plenty of power when you thrash the sh1t out of it but it's pretty gutless below 4-5000 revs. I'm in no way apologising for the 718 btw, I was disappointed when I had one for a day. I found the engine underwhelming considering it's a turbo. I would qualify all this however as my daily is a mapped Golf R putting out 400 lbft of torque, now that DOES have effortless torque. I also have a V10 Plus which has more torque than the GTS but you do have to be "spirited" in your driving to use the torque.

Having said all that, I am going to be extremely interested in the new 718-6 as a 718 with it's advantages (quicker steering and better media system) combined with the 6 noise and a bit more go than the 981 should be right up my street, even if the noise won't be quite as glorious.

Id agree with the torque as well . You have to work the engine much harder in a 981 . Im a lazy driver and the 718 suits my style of driving.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:50 AM, Broxie said:

gts2.jpg

gts3.jpg

Top marks to Porsch Solihull. £565 for an interim service.

i do really like this interior though...

Perhaps I should admit, I’m already past 60 years old (soon 62) and my driving experience comes from 3 litre 6 cylinder cars that produced less than 160bhp and my type of “spirited driving” is pushing the sport plus button to overtake an ice cream van 🙂

Archived