Ouch I've just been rear ended :-(

paul rylah

I had the misfortune to be an innocent party and although damage to my xtrail (car at the time) was minimal it was deemed a write off due to age.

to my knowledge repairers don’t like cars over a certain age as they wont guarantee their repairs. Consequently the insurers do their worst and make very poor payouts.

current vehicle is unmolested 1999 986 with 136k on the clock.

classic or write off at what price?

If insurance used and car bought back then category changes C overall value.

all a bit of a conundrum as owner= loser all round.

Dave

A car can only really be written off by yourself, an insurance write off is something completely different.

I currently have a Boxster to be assessed for Engine repair, which may well write off the car for me personally if it's bad news.

A 4-6k full engine rebuild isn't viable for me, so I'd probably cut my losses and sell it for 2-3k and get a run around until I can get another Porsche.

If I'd been in an accident, then that's a totally different write off. There's another car or cars to consider in the claim overall. It basically comes down to how much you can negotiate on the value/claim and/or whether the Insurance(front bottom) company will in fact write it off or not. It can massively devalue the car for re-sale value if a car has insurance write off and a 986 is not really re-sellable as a write off. Just look at how many 986's are write offs on autotrader.

You do still, however have the option to buy the car back as a write off, from the Insurance nobs. So it depends what you want/do with the car really and how much you love it?

Archived