Ouch I've just been rear ended :-(

paul rylah

Can anyone give me any advice on what to look for,  from the outside it looks like just my bumper has been mangled. My Boxster was stationary at the lights and was hit by a car doing approx 20 mph, and then again when he took his foot of the brake l, as he had left it in drive. 😞

2 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Get the insurers to assess it - that’s what you pay the premiums for. 

Agree with that - you can’t tell what damage may have been done.

51 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Get the insurers to assess it - that’s what you pay the premiums for. 

48 minutes ago, Purdie said:

Agree with that - you can’t tell what damage may have been done.

10 minutes ago, ed80 said:

Surely if someone rear ends you when stationary at the lights, then it is the other parties insurance that should be sorting it.

All valid points. I had a friend who had a Saab rear ended. Very little external damage but the underneath was twisted. Costly repair. If they are insured you should be claiming on them. AT least check out the damage before agreeing not to involve insurance company.

1 hour ago, ed80 said:

Surely if someone rear ends you when stationary at the lights, then it is the other parties insurance that should be sorting it

In my experience it's just not worth getting the insurance companys involved (regardless of who you think is to blame, but that is another matter) for a relatively minor repair, but without actually seeing the car, then it's impossible to tell how much damage has been done. 

1 minute ago, PaulQ said:

In my experience it's just not worth getting the insurance companys involved (regardless of who you think is to blame, but that is another matter) for a relatively minor repair, but without actually seeing the car, then it's impossible to tell how much damage has been done. 

If it’s a rear ended shunt - then it’s the other party at fault and they will be paying for it - no reason not to get the insurers involved, no matter how minor

4 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

If it’s a rear ended shunt - then it’s the other party at fault and they will be paying for it - no reason not to get the insurers involved, no matter how minor

If you say so. :)

Makes you wonder why the op asked the question then.? 

10 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

They might be at fault but you can bet your bottom dollar that your premium will go up next year to cover their admin. 

I think the major point here is that it is not always possible to tell what damage is done just by looking at it. If its a light tap bumper to bumper then fine but that doesnt appear to be the case here. You're call of course but a quick look under and you think all is well MAY just bite you in the backside later.

20mph is a big enough impact. Somebody rear ended me at a roundabout in our old Fiesta. Their car didn't move more than perhaps 8metres from a standing start yet it was enough to scratch the rear bumper and crease it. I got her to pay up and pay the smart repairer directly. I reasoned with her that her excess will be the same or more plus the premium cost she would lay the following years. 

2 hours ago, ed80 said:

Surely if someone rear ends you when stationary at the lights, then it is the other parties insurance that should be sorting it.

Many years ago I had a friend with a Davrian (Hillman Imp based fibreglass sports car) who told me he had had an accident and his car's rear end was damaged. I sympathised and said 'well at least the other driver will be responsible'. 'Not really' he said. 'I was travelling backwards around a roundabout at the time!'

2 hours ago, myfirstboxster said:

Don't forget your personal injury claim ;)

Only if you suffered REAL injury - claims for whiplash are always tested as it has been the subject of many false claims and insurance firms are now very suspicious of any such claims. 

6 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

Definitely worth getting a professional opinion. As what appears to be just a second hand bumper and paint... could soon be brackets, wiring, lights, support bars or boot floors which is bad news.

Not to mention the exhaust back box, pipework to manifold and heatshield.

And then you have to start worrying about write off value....

Be careful where you go for an assessment, my father did a cash repair after scraping his car but somehow his insurers got to know about it and it turned up as a zero value fault claim on his history with obligatory premium rise!  For better or worse reasons I have a friendly body shop locally who have done insurance and personal jobs for me with no issue.

I keep seeing mention of premium rise in posts such as this and elsewhere.

For clarity it doesn't matter who's at fault, if you make a claim on insurance you will be seen as a higher risk and future premiums will rise even in a case like this where the other person is clearly 100% at fault.

It's not fair but it is true.

Get it assessed as suggested but be aware some insurance companies get moody if you claim and haven't informed them as soon as possible, check the small print!

Thanks for all your replies, it's going in tomorrow, to a proper repair shop, I feel I can trust. As for premium's they always go up even if you have a clean year. I guess I'm going to find out how cheap a poor man's Porsche really costs.

Archived