How to: 981 brake pads

daz05

Very good video and will be of great help a lot of 981 owners save ££££. A little tip though, if you jack the car high enough using the rear jacking point you can put the axle stand under the front jacking point and vice versa.

13 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

Very good video and will be of great help a lot of 981 owners save ££££. A little tip though, if you jack the car high enough using the rear jacking point you can put the axle stand under the front jacking point and vice versa.

Thanks and good point, the chassis is certainly stiff enough in the 981.

I would definitely jack the car up evenly, so axle stands both sides on the front or rear or all 4 at once - I wouldn't jack up 1 side any higher than necessary to just get the wheel off if for some reason I had to remove a single wheel for a very short while.

The chassis may be stiff, but it's not designed to be left at that kind of twist I'd say..

1 hour ago, GTSMarky said:

I would definitely jack the car up evenly, so axle stands both sides on the front or rear or all 4 at once - I wouldn't jack up 1 side any higher than necessary to just get the wheel off if for some reason I had to remove a single wheel for a very short while.

The chassis may be stiff, but it's not designed to be left at that kind of twist I'd say..

I don't follow Marky, doesn't appear to be any significant stress or twist on it with the dual lift points in my video or as per Tony's recommendation?

14 minutes ago, daz05 said:

I don't follow Marky, doesn't appear to be any significant stress or twist on it with the dual lift points in my video or as per Tony's recommendation?

It's probably just me being pedantic and no harm will be done.. If I lift a car then I do it evenly either front or rear or both, not nearside/offside one at a time.. This really comes from working on my TR4a where if you lift it unevenly the chassis twists - it's designed to do that to a point of course, but I just prefer seeing no mechanical stress that's unnecessary - especially given the exaggerated lift angles achievable with trolley jacks & stands..

Hammering over kerbs on track of course  if just fine....:)

On 9/15/2019 at 9:11 PM, Calypso said:

You’ve done this just at the right time for me. I’m going to give it a go now - thanks.

Keep up the great videos. 

Thanks, how did you get on?  Hit like and subscribe to show some support if you haven't already ;) 

3 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Thanks, how did you get on?  Hit like and subscribe to show some support if you haven't already ;) 

Did both last night (like and sub). I haven’t got the parts yet but will do when I’ve finished using it during the spate of good weather we are expecting this week. 

5 minutes ago, Calypso said:

Did both last night (like and sub). I haven’t got the parts yet but will do when I’ve finished using it during the spate of good weather we are expecting this week. 

Just a message away if you get stuck.  Not convinced you need those bolts every pad change but asses yourself.

12 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Just a message away if you get stuck.  Not convinced you need those bolts every pad change but asses yourself.

Ok thank you. One thing I will need is the spacer to separate the calliper and I have no idea about them. Any pointers for something that would do the trick?

Just now, Calypso said:

Ok thank you. One thing I will need is the spacer to separate the calliper and I have no idea about them. Any pointers for something that would do the trick?

Ideally you want a spreader tool that protrudes away so you can operate it from the side, the one I had is designed for two piece calipers.  The rubber hammer handle worked for me as you saw.

This one may work but have no experience of this particular type.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/293025219541?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=293025219541&targetid=522856887278&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9046836&poi=&campaignid=6466372452&mkgroupid=80116130769&rlsatarget=pla-522856887278&abcId=1139366&merchantid=115091659&gclid=CjwKCAjw5fzrBRASEiwAD2OSV9TgjmFgNwOEEuy4ACNlRt4J9hZMUCCFWEIswJTa5nOFPXBeQBeURxoCBp8QAvD_BwE

Archived