Phill

Phill Gent

Can be, there is no exact science with it.

I worried myself about it years ago enough to go and get a Porsche warranty on a 3 2 05 plate car. Never had any issues. 

Depends how risk averse you are. All 3.2's have same bearing 

13 minutes ago, jimmy p said:

Can be, there is no exact science with it.

I worried myself about it years ago enough to go and get a Porsche warranty on a 3 2 05 plate car. Never had any issues. 

Depends how risk averse you are. All 3.2's have same bearing 

Don't think that's true, they switched from the single row bearing with the high failure rate sometime during 2005 to a slightly larger single row bearing before it was designed out with the 987.2 in 2009, so plenty of 3.2 have the larger single row bearing which seems much more reliable, but cannot be replaced without splitting the crankcase.

1 hour ago, Phill Gent said:

Hi thanks for the reply,do you know if that is the problematic one .

It seems pretty likely that you have the small single row bearing with the high failure rate, but the good news is that it's survived ok until now and if you are really worried, you can get it upgraded. Cheapest to do it while you have the box off for a clutch.

They changed the bearing sizes on the 997's but I dont believe they did on the 987 3.2's, they just got changed to the bore score 3.4 engine on the gen 1 cars which may of had the newer bearing.

Check with cmoose on pistonheads as he seems to of done the most research on this.

21 hours ago, jimmy p said:

They changed the bearing sizes on the 997's but I dont believe they did on the 987 3.2's, they just got changed to the bore score 3.4 engine on the gen 1 cars which may of had the newer bearing.

Check with cmoose on pistonheads as he seems to of done the most research on this.

I checked what Cmoose had to say and it is essentially that it has not been proved to his satisfaction that the IMS changed at the same time as the cover plate did. Others on the thread have confirmed an updated engine number reflected an upgraded bearing when inspected. Not sure why he's pushing this theory so hard, but there is a big industry in the US fitting IMS 'solutions'🤔

Richard Hamilton seems like a pretty solid source of technical info on Porsche, but always interesting to hear other opinions🙂

Archived