PASM or not to PASM

Rooose

My 2005 car, 48k miles has PASM but it feels a little tired to me and I am thinking of carrying out a suspension refresh.

I am a bit torn, I am not hugely impressed with the system overall, sport is way too harsh, normal seems neither comfortable or particularly smooths out the ride in my car.

The PASM shocks are prohibitively expensive and it has made me consider whether to ditch PASM entirely and go for some passive shocks. These could be standard Bilsteins or potentially some coilovers.

I am not looking for anything too low or too harsh a ride, it is purely for weekend a and b road blasts. 

Has anyone changed from PASM to passive? 

Am I just not experiencing PASM at its best because it needs new shocks?

If anyone has any inputs, it would be greatly appreciated!

Interesting topic ... I'm keen to see the answers! 

I have PASM on my 987 (Cayman) but am quite happy with it. However I can see the day coming when I'll need to change things and have noticed that PASM struts are indeed pricey. I am a BIG fan of Bilstein B6 stuff from other cars (notably 944's) and could consider putting non-PASM Bilsteins on my 987 to save money. 

Issues I can see are whether it is possible (it may not be), whether non-PASM struts will play nicely with other electronics such as Sport Chrono and whether you'd regret saving a few hundred quid in the long run. You'd also have a slightly bastardised car which may be difficult to sell. 

48k seem early for the suspension to be tired, but unless you've had it from new then you don't know how much work it's had to do. No idea on the technicalities of swapping, but this is the sort of thing you will need to inform the insurance about as would be potentially awkward in the event of a claim.

I see some have changed out PASM to non PASM with some good results but they use either a device to 'cancel' the PASM function or get it coded to turn it off. This is not the ideal solution for me I have to admit -  the more I consider it, the more I think some kind of Bilstein damptronic setup might be the answer.

I was kind of hoping someone had been through the same process and wondered what conclusions they came to!

Yes, 48k is pretty early - I am not sure if I am being overly critical to be honest - past experience would tell me that the shocks would have plenty of life left. The car is immaculate and seems to have led a very cherished life, so I don't suspect its been abused particularly in the past but I like my cars to be completely sorted and as it is now 14 years old, I feel it would be good practice to begin replacing various components, particularly suspension/bush related.

I have 18" wheels, so I guess this should be relatively compliant?

Given the comments so far, maybe I am expecting too much from PASM. Having never experienced it in a new car, I really don't have anything to compare it to. 

It is definitely very harsh when activated on my local roads, but when in normal, doesn't seem overly compliant, I had expected a slightly more cosseting ride. I appreciate is is never going to be S-Class smooth and I don't want it to be!

Maybe I am just getting too old! 

What about trying an aftermarket PASM controller? I believe these allow you more flexibility in the settings between the two extremes you mention. They've been discussed on here before and seem to work well. About £1-1.5k from memory and easily resellable if it doesn't work for you. Here's a recent thread to get you going.

18 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

What about trying an aftermarket PASM controller? I believe these allow you more flexibility in the settings between the two extremes you mention. They've been discussed on here before and seem to work well. About £1-1.5k from memory and easily resellable if it doesn't work for you. Here's a recent thread to get you going.

Bought one a little while ago, fitted it and it has made a noticeable, positive, difference. The one I've got is a DSC. It replaces your existing PASM ECU.

@Lonewolfgjp has one fitted to his 987 and like me has really noticed the difference. 

1 hour ago, Rooose said:

I have 18" wheels, so I guess this should be relatively compliant?

Given the comments so far, maybe I am expecting too much from PASM. Having never experienced it in a new car, I really don't have anything to compare it to. 

It is definitely very harsh when activated on my local roads, but when in normal, doesn't seem overly compliant, I had expected a slightly more cosseting ride. I appreciate is is never going to be S-Class smooth and I don't want it to be!

Maybe I am just getting too old! 

Doubt you're as old as me. 😀  My present car also has the sports seats - but no PASM. And you can feel it run over a leaf... What I found surprising was only the one tyre pressure for everything. Most cars have a different setting for full load/maximum speed use, and daily driving. But I've got used to it.

I am liking that idea!

Visually, all components seem to be in good condition, so maybe a DSC controller could be the solution. I will take a closer look into this.

For anyone that has one - I read that when activated, it makes the harder setting very useable. What are peoples thoughts of use when in normal - is there any change to the ride?

DaveEFI - I agree, I had considered tyre pressures and can only find the factory recommendations. That raises another question - does anyone run different to factory tyre pressures?

Hi there 

PASM on 18s should be pretty smooth? I had it on my previous 987.1 with 19s and it wasn’t as harsh as my previous 986 on 18s.

I would check out the tyres, not so much the tread but maybe how old they are. They go rock hard if they are over a certain age and also if the tread is low that will make the ride harsher.

I would recommend the DSC PASM controller, it really does transform the car and makes the Sports setting very usable even on our crappie roads. I run mine in Sports mode most of the time and it isn’t too harsh👍

Archived