SPP speaker change

sa utah

I’m collecting all the relevant parts to replace the speakers in my 2006 car which has the Spind package plus system installed

I’ve got the speakers (Focal) and I have a whole set of door card clips and various trim removal tools which I already own from previous projects.

can anyone tell me which connectors are used on the factory SPP door speakers ?   Are they the usual spade connectors ?   Or a special plug?   Just getting as much info so I’m ready to finish to job in one day 

I’ll also be resealing the inner door panels on both sides.  I’m going to use a flexible Loctite sealant as the foam gasket idea just doesn’t seem like a proper job to me.  

thanks in advance  

• 2 weeks later...

Likewise - there was a short fly lead soldered to the standard speakers. I removed it and soldered it to the new ones. 

Go easy with the loctite sealant; you may need to remove those inner door panels at a later date. 

I cut the oem wires and crimped bullet connectors on, if you want to change back you can crimp bullet connectors to the oem speakers that match up. Think it used some proprietary connectors from memory
I used screen sealant for the door membrane, it stays flexible and can be removed if needed later

All done.  Old drive units soldered into the removable basket / mount .  Easy job 

the new focal speaker sound great  it sounded dreadful before but no surprise there as the old drive units are cr*p to start with and mine also had decayed foam surrounds.   Why they’d use foam surrounds on a car speaker is beyond me. My normal day job involves home audio and I’ve not seen foam used since about 1980!  

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ERwunsaCvKmW5qDU9

Which speakers did you replace? Just the ones in the doors or the dash speakers too? I would like to replace the dash speakers but I have not yet found anything that will fit - TBH I haven't looked that hard. 987 dash speakers don't look as easy/available as 986.

Archived