987 pcm2.1 cd changer programming for mr12v bluetooth

Nick C

I only have the CDR24 and my changer was already there but I installed one of these because I wanted to keep the original HU and have been more than happy. Streaming quality is excellent and although not the last word in functionality, it works well.

I installed mine in the frunk, where the CD was previously and ran the MIC through the firewall grommet found just above the accelerator pedal and then placed it near the instrument binnacle. Pretty easy install to be honest and was in my case, plug and play.

Have a look at the sticky thread in the technical section.  I think a recent Durametric pro or the Porsche PIWIS2 is required to enable the “changer”. Several members have to required gear and will “code for beer vouchers”

alternatively a local Indy should be equipped and will likely do it for. It much more than a couple of beers. 

Thanks for the replies, I'm still finding my way around this site as I'm a new Porsche owner, I'll have a look on the technical section, I've no problem with paying someone to do it, just want someone relatively local. 

Cheers.

Nick.

On 1/9/2020 at 12:25 PM, Rooose said:

I only have the CDR24 and my changer was already there but I installed one of these because I wanted to keep the original HU and have been more than happy. Streaming quality is excellent and although not the last word in functionality, it works well.

I installed mine in the frunk, where the CD was previously and ran the MIC through the firewall grommet found just above the accelerator pedal and then placed it near the instrument binnacle. Pretty easy install to be honest and was in my case, plug and play.

Hi - got any pics of this fella so a thicko can install one quickly ;) 

3 hours ago, SiBerty said:

Hi - got any pics of this fella so a thicko can install one quickly ;) 

Sorry,  didn't take any pics. Once you remove cd changer, you need to plug the optical fibre staright into the new unit, no need to run that cable, use what is already there. I chose to cut the old cd changer connector off as I have no intention of going back to it (instead of splicing into it) then soldered and insulated those wires to the unit connector. 2 were combined for power if I remember, but it is all pretty obvious when you are in there.

For running the mic, if you take off the frunk cover on the drivers side, you will see a big rubber grommit. Its a bit of a faff to get your hand to it, but whilst being careful of the other wires, I cut a x in it with a scalpel and then attached the mic cable to a coat hanger to feed from within the drivers footwell. Once done, I sealed it up with some silicone just for peace of mind.

I am no auto electrician and would say this is a relatively straightforward job.

Hope this helps!

On 1/11/2020 at 2:41 PM, Rooose said:

Sorry,  didn't take any pics. Once you remove cd changer, you need to plug the optical fibre staright into the new unit, no need to run that cable, use what is already there. I chose to cut the old cd changer connector off as I have no intention of going back to it (instead of splicing into it) then soldered and insulated those wires to the unit connector. 2 were combined for power if I remember, but it is all pretty obvious when you are in there.

For running the mic, if you take off the frunk cover on the drivers side, you will see a big rubber grommit. Its a bit of a faff to get your hand to it, but whilst being careful of the other wires, I cut a x in it with a scalpel and then attached the mic cable to a coat hanger to feed from within the drivers footwell. Once done, I sealed it up with some silicone just for peace of mind.

I am no auto electrician and would say this is a relatively straightforward job.

Hope this helps!

Cheers - mine should be here later this week. Did you run the USB to type c into the car too? I presume not. 

21 hours ago, SiBerty said:

I've a problem with mine. Streaming works. Calls do not any idea?

Do you have a telephone module under the driver's seat? If so, Im assuming you have the message on the PCM saying 'not connected' where the phone display is... If this is the case, the exact same happened to me. You need to jack the driver's seat up as high as it goes and put a bypass loop into the telephone module which is found underneath it. There's a few screws to undo.. You can buy a fibre optic bypass loops for a few £'s online. It's a fiddly job but really straight forward, I'm sure I watched a YouTube video beforehand when I did this. I can also confirm you do not need anything programming for these devices. PCM 2.1 with phone module. No cd changer and it works perfectly without any coding needed.

Thanks. I've no telephone module.

The switches on the box need to be off I have learned. Getting to it is tricky as my installer put it behind the head unit. I got the side panel off but the larger one was stuck at the top of the glovebox. As it's leather I decided not to yank it off.

Hoping the switches and a reset fixes it.

• 2 weeks later...

Still not had chance to get the calls sorted but I am not that fussed. The streaming is great and spotify integrates with google maps so no worries with Nav. 

The standard BOSE is good enough for me and without the grand price tag and lack of computer data. Also you dont need a dab aerial as radio is from your apps. 

Good for 200 quid.

Archived