So frustrating!

ricof

I took my car to a new (to me) indie last weekend to get a couple of bits done and jumped on the train this morning to go and pick it up. About a total journey time of two hours to a local station where the trains are every hour. Luckily the garage is almost adjacent to the station. 

Had a chat with the owner and we discussed the issue with the roof (see my other thread) and he was happy with the diagnostics and the solution. Indeed it had been up and down multiple times as he was re-stitching the roof elastic. He opened the door and the same old intermittent issue had returned - the roof isn’t telling the windows to return to the usual position meaning they are open about three inches constantly. He seemed as bemused as I was. 

He had it on PIWIS but couldn’t get it to behave itself. He’s having to keep it in and investigate further and by that point I’d missed the next hourly train back to London so I had a 50 minute wait for the next one. 

Bloody car!!

1 hour ago, frozen said:

has he checked if the roof closed sensor switch in the latch hole at centre of windscreen failing?

Yes, resoldered and tested all OK. Possible diagnosis may be microswitches in the roof gearboxes

I have never had the roof latch apart on a 987 but I do know about the 986, its almost certain that the principle is the same.  On the 986 there is a fair amount of play in the whole mechanism and sometimes the two microswitches (one normally open and the other normally closed) don't always contact the plastic cam correctly, meaning that one or other of them does not switch causing the window to either stay up when unlatched or not return when latched.  

My fix was to force a small bit of plastic (I used a bit of very small cable tie) between the plastic spindle and the body of the mechanism to remove the play.

I have a picture of the fix somewhere, I'll take a look.

Archived