Checking gear linkage play

phazed

I have a 2008 3.4 with 85K on the clock approximately.

I believe I may have a little play in the bushes/linkage. I am eager to check and rectify If at all possible. The remainder of the car is absolutely perfect, runs like clockwork and seems extremely mechanically sound.

There is a possibility that there is nothing wrong with the bushes and I'm just used to the more direct gear linkage of my old TVR.

how can I check? Does all the centre consul have to be removed? If so, is there a tutorial or any tips?

I would appreciate a bit of help on this. 

There is not a lot to adjust. You can adjust by turning a thread on the cable end fittings but this won't really take out any slack or sloppy feeling. The wear you feel is mostly the nylon bushes flexing or being worn down. You can solve this by fitting some metal bushes. The other part is the oblong nylon block which the metal ball pivot slots into. You can shim this out to take out some slack. 

Excellent little tutorial, thank you.

I wonder why he didn’t want to fit the short shifter. Does it really make that much difference? I would have thought replacing the short shifter eliminates all the faffing around fitting washers and shim material. Am I correct assuming that?

If there is wear in my original set up, I assume you could buy the whole unit from Porsche?

I haven’t looked yet but I need to find out how to remove the centre console. Any tips?

13 hours ago, phazed said:

Excellent little tutorial, thank you.

I wonder why he didn’t want to fit the short shifter. Does it really make that much difference? I would have thought replacing the short shifter eliminates all the faffing around fitting washers and shim material. Am I correct assuming that?

If there is wear in my original set up, I assume you could buy the whole unit from Porsche?

I haven’t looked yet but I need to find out how to remove the centre console. Any tips?

He didnt want a shorter throw. It can make it a bit crunchy when cold especially 2nd gear. Some people like the standard throw. The 9x7 is a little shorter than the 9x6. It's a less popular mod in the 9x7. In fact some people fit the 9x7 standard shifter to the 9x6.

A shortshift cm still have play in the main vertical shaft and doesn't replace the white nylon block. So in short a short shift doesn't resolve all those potential issues. It's not the same in all cars. For example in my own OE shortshift there was no room to shim out the nylon block ie there was no play in that part. 

Not to derail the thread, but even with a new SSK (custom bushings machined to eliminate play from the mechanism) I still have a lot of slop. It seems that the 'arms' that protrude from the gearbox and join to the cable ends have quite a lot of play in them. 

OP have you checked this, but also does anyone know how I can fix this?

Happy with the throw as it is. I will put the car up on my lift soon, (possibly this afternoon if it p*sses with rain!). 

I will check at the gearbox to see if there is much in the way of playwhich is the easy bit.

I would still like to remove the centre console for access to the stick mechanism if possible. Would still like a definitive  description on how to do this without experimenting and damaging something! 

It would be good to meet up with someone who thinks that their car hasn't any play and compare it to mine. I may be barking up the wrong tree all along but I'm sure that I have play which can be eliminated, I hope! 

Not been on here for a few days and just saw this. Absolutely fantastic!

cheers.

Just to add, to remove the centre console from my TVR, you just have to remove three crosshead screws lift, wiggle and remove. Less than five minutes!

Mind you, apart from the engine the whole car is rubbish by comparison, :)

Hi Peter, I have been looking at the short shift kit as I found the throw quite long compared to the T5 when going straight from one to other. However, wind forward a few weeks and I have got used to it and actually tried a modified 987 shift on a 996 at the weekend and over all, the gear shift is good in comparison. Adjustment and perhaps some new bushes might be the answer. 

if I get to brands hatch on the 13th I will make sure I bring the car and we can compare gear shifts!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 3:39 PM, JonSta said:

I followed the tutorial which was excellent!

Now exposed I can see that there is a little side movement in the l/h white plastic pivoting lever that is connected to the l/h cable. Worryingly there is quite a bit of front to rear play. Cable moves fore and aft telling me that the play is at the gearbox end. Looking underneath, the gearbox lever moves and I can only assume that there is play in the selector mechanism, I don't really know.

I called into a dealer yesterday and they had the identical car to mine but with less than half the mileage. There was about half the play in the gearstick then mine. 

Question, is it normal for there to be increased play as mileage increases or not.

Given my problem, of which I know it might not bother others, what is the cure?

i could renew the whole shift assembly, I guess separate parts aren't available. But what about the gearbox end?

Talking to a seasoned mechanic friend of mine. He said there is rarely any play in gearbox mechanisms inside the box as they are lubricated constantly which makes sense unless there is something that I don’t know about the Porsche system, (and I know very little having spent the last 15 years in TVR ownership!).

it looks like it will just be a change of the gearshift mechanism although if the costs aren’t absolutely mind-boggling I may renew the cables as well just to future proof it.

apart from the slop in the gearchange I am really pleased with the car. Not as powerful as my old 5.5 TVR but boy, does it handle!

the video looks just like mine - I have loads of slop left and right but not much up and down, at almost 100K

After uncovering the selector and holding down the white block, my guess was about 50% looseness in the selector and 50% somewhere else in the linkage, and the video would seem to back that up.

Doesn't look like any simple fix there though?

Mine is very similar to that in the video and I agree with above about where in the white plastic lever/block.

Decided to bite the bullet and renew the gearshift assembly as standard and also to renew the cables while I am at it.

According to my friend who works at Porsche, snapped cables are quite common!

It's a few quid I know but as far as I'm concerned it is future proofing in the car.

I have spoke to a few garages in the last week about it, they have suspected that it is just the bushes that the 'gearbox shift arms' (thats what I'm calling them, is there a proper name for them?) sit on, but Porsche don't offer many gearbox spares and it would need some custom bushes made up. One garage suggested they thought they knew what the problem was and could probably fix it without dropping the gearbox for £320-£450 + VAT, although others suspected it would require the gearbox to come out. Being a cheaper Cayman with high mileage I'm not too keen on spending out for it and am trying to do all the required DIY myself, so if theres a solution I can do at home then I'll definitely give it a go!

RE play in other areas.

I upgraded mine to an SSK to remove the play from the actual linkage up front. Alex over on 911UK has a thread where he shows how to modify the £40 Chinese SSK to get rid of all the play from them, or he will modify one himself and machine you up some custom metal bushings for it for about £130. I'm very happy with mine and there is 0 play there now, and it's cheaper than the other SSK kits out there.

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=120177&highlight=short+shift+bush

I have no/minimal visible play in the cable ends where they attach to the gearbox, but if you do then function first have some new cable ends

http://www.function-first.com/products/engine-trans/shifter-cable-ends

I am going to put the car on the ramp today and take everything out, cables and shifter.

I’m going to put the car on the ramp today and take everything out, cables and shifter.

I will have the parts delivered to me end of tomorrow and hopefully will have time to put them in the next day and then we will see.

About £500 for slightly less movement in the gearstick, Hmmm, Sounds like good value..........

344A32A4-6CFE-437F-8E06-BF8EA2968247.jpeg

Update!

I emailed Roger at Californiamotorsports. He was very helpful, see his reply:

"Thank you for contacting us and thanks for the video link.  We believe the culprit is part 987 424 023 00 which is part #23 on this diagram https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/pet/porsche/987c/528u/701000/ . I can get you a new one for $395 plus shipping. You might also consider replacing parts #21 and #24" (note, this part no is for a 987.1, I am not sure if it's different between the 1st and 2nd gen but search the nemigaparts site to check)

Feel free to contact Roger if you are interested in ordering this part. This should cover the fore-aft movement, but not the side-to-side play.

I couldn't find a part for the arm on the right hand side. I did find part 21 here, although I'm not sure this is the correct part. The diagram shows it oriented vertically, whereas it's mounted on top of my gearbox horizontally.  https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/pet/porsche/987c2/34/320050/

However, from googling the left hand side gearbox part number I found two other threads, see below. In short, it looks like the fore-aft play can be caused by a rubber 'bumper' inside the 'shift arm'/bracket degrading, which might not require the whole bracket to be replaced. This bumper helps soften the shift as you are pushing the gearstick into gears, but when worn away results in more fore-aft movement.

On this forum, they suggest using some 6x7mm nylon or rubber rod to fill in the space where the degraded rubber bumpers sit.

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/cayman-shifter-linkage-mod.154537/

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/shifter-slop-after-transmission-removal-reinstall.98924/

I also found an official porsche parts catalogue:

https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/en/E_987C_KATALOG.pdf

All useful stuff.

i should be fitting the cables and gearshifter on Friday.

we will see....

Well........fitted the standard new gearstick assembly and a new pair of cables.

Result, a great result! I am so pleased.

Play is about 25% of before. 

It seemed reasonably fine before, certainly more play then the direct change in my old TVR but now it is like a new car!

Due to other activities, I completed fitting a few bits of trim yesterday morning. As the Sun was shining  all afternoon, my wife and I went for a nice drive through the Surrey Hills and surrounding area with the roof down, a last hurrah I thought  as I was fairly sure they would lock us down yesterday evening, and they did! 

Car nicely washed and tucked under its cover in the garage for the next few months as I have to self isolate for at least 12 weeks. Seeing what is happening in the rest of the world, that could be six months.  Could be worse. 

Archived