Working in engine bay

BTM520

Hi all,

I want to remove my starter motor to give it a clean out over the next week or so. I will also clean the throttle body.

To safely remove the starter motor I will need to disconnect battery. I will be working outside, so in order to keep my car water tight, could I put the roof cover piece up higher manually as shown here half way through the video:

Then with everything disconnected to access the engine bay normally, could I put the roof and windows back up. THEN disconnect battery, and then just put the rear window down myself and put the panel down and that can keep everything water tight?

I have also thought I might need to get in through bulk head as well so to get in and out of the car I will need to put drivers window down a bit?

And then I can keep bonnet open a little bit so I can access battery again?

Anything i'm not thinking of properly here? I am hoping this job will not take too long, but just in case it does or if it rains as it tends to do in scotland. I want to be sure I have thought of every common sense option before I start!

@Menoporsche I don't...I decided against buying one too.... not realising it may come in handy for other things. I suppose batter only really needs disconnected when removing the starter motor then I could hook it back up then disconnect again when re-installing it?

Archived