Parking brake shoes, disc won't go back on...help!

Berni29

Hi

Decided to clean the parking brake system on my 2003 986. So having freed everything off and put some new shoes on I find that I cannot get the discs back on. The shoes do not seem to retract enough.

They did not come off easily in the first pace doe to catching on the shoes and the levers at the bottom were fairly seized. The adjuster in the car is slacked right off, the cables are not under tension at all.

Something is not right. Probably with the levers at the bottom I think. It seems like the levers are still at least partially in an extended position.

Suggestions please!

Many thanks

Berni

20 minutes ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

Decided to clean the parking brake system on my 2003 986. So having freed everything off and put some new shoes on I find that I cannot get the discs back on. The shoes do not seem to retract enough.

They did not come off easily in the first pace doe to catching on the shoes and the levers at the bottom were fairly seized. The adjuster in the car is slacked right off, the cables are not under tension at all.

Something is not right. Probably with the levers at the bottom I think. It seems like the levers are still at least partially in an extended position.

Suggestions please!

Many thanks

Berni

Hi, did you back off the adjuster inside the drum before you refitted them? If not they may bind on the drum. The adjuster in the car is only to take up slack on the cable, not to adjust the shoes in relation to the drum.

Hi

Thanks for the reply, yes sure did, cleaned and re-greased and fully retracted.

It must be something to do with the lever system at the bottom, but it is strange that it is both sides, seemingly by the same amount. Almost like the shoes are too big. But they are the right part number, and as I mentioned, both discs were quite tight over the shoes to get off.

Berni

Hi

Sadly not..... The projections go into the adjuster, and the cut outs fit into the lever "spreader" at the bottom. 

I think tomorrow I will disassemble one side, make 100% sure the lever arrangement at the bottom is free, and then take an angle grinder (gently) to the shoes.

See how we are after that.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Berni

Hi

Just to bring this thread to a happy close, the adjusters can go on ether way, just as long as the slots are fully seated.

My problem was that the pivot to the handbrake cable had seized both sides and was not letting the spreading mechanism at the bottom of the shoe come back to a fully rested position. You have to slack the adjuster in the car off all the way to get the cable out far enough to reach the pivot pin. In fact I took the whole of the mechanism apart and used a wire wheel and file on it all to get everything sliding freely. Took a whole morning. Lots of copperslip applied and all is good.

Many thanks again

Berni

Archived