Battery charging

Ksetch

Hi, 

Our  2003 2.7 986 has not been out for a run since the middle of March and in view of the current situation I put it on a Sorn because i thought we would not be able to use it for some months due to lock down. Anyway I started it up last week and whilst it started the battery seemed to struggle on first turn of the key, so I ran it for 20 mins . In my garage I have a CTEK charger model XS 0.8 which hasn’t been used for 3 years, and never used on the Porsche, so I thought I would condition the battery by using this while it’s sat in it’s garage. In the manual it states that if you are charging the battery insitu the negative connector should be clamped to the vehicle chassis remote from the fuel pipe and the battery. Am I misinterpreting this as in the past I have always attached the black clamp to the negative post on the battery ? Any views on this , if you use one of these where do you connect yours and also how do I turn off the courtesy lamp in the front boot whilst the battery is on charge?

I thought you could connect the maintainer clamps direct to the battery on a 986?

The 981 has an AGM battery and you shouldn't connect the maintainer/charger to the negative terminal on the battery.  This connects to the ground terminal on the windscreen wiper linkage instead, positive connects to battery positive terminal as normal. 

You could also plug the maintainer into the cigarette lighter socket as most do.

• 2 weeks later...

I kept my old 986 on the CTEK charger through the winter, simply connect to the plus and minus sides of the battery and as @richardjjssays connect the CTEK leads to the battery and leave them there ready to plug in when required.  You can even add a small device which will tell you when it needs to be charged.

On 5/31/2020 at 9:56 PM, StephenM said:

I kept my old 986 on the CTEK charger through the winter, simply connect to the plus and minus sides of the battery and as @richardjjssays connect the CTEK leads to the battery and leave them there ready to plug in when required.  You can even add a small device which will tell you when it needs to be charged.

Is it wise to go against manufacturers instructions? This may invalidate Amy warranty for example?

19 hours ago, Dazzevans said:

Is it wise to go against manufacturers instructions? This may invalidate Amy warranty for example?

I understood @Ksetch was referring to a 2003 986 which will be out of warranty by now.  I was simply advising I had done this for a complete winter with my 2001 986 and it started first turn at the end of the winter and both the car and battery were fine.  If your car is in warranty then you should follow the manufacturers instructions and consult Porsche direct if in doubt.

On 5/23/2020 at 2:22 PM, RickLS7 said:

I thought you could connect the maintainer clamps direct to the battery on a 986?

The 981 has an AGM battery and you shouldn't connect the maintainer/charger to the negative terminal on the battery.  This connects to the ground terminal on the windscreen wiper linkage instead, positive connects to battery positive terminal as normal. 

You could also plug the maintainer into the cigarette lighter socket as most do.

This

But as explained it is only relevant on newer cars which have added circuitry to detect if a charger is connected. They're supposed to alter the charge rate from the engine to make the battery life longer. I'm not sure how much difference this really makes.

So on older cars just attach straight to the battery if you wish. 

10 hours ago, StephenM said:

I understood @Ksetch was referring to a 2003 986 which will be out of warranty by now.  I was simply advising I had done this for a complete winter with my 2001 986 and it started first turn at the end of the winter and both the car and battery were fine.  If your car is in warranty then you should follow the manufacturers instructions and consult Porsche direct if in doubt.

I meant the warranty on the charger.....😳

I simply use a 12v/cigarette/aux socket with a modified plug lead and flex lead (trickle charger is low current). Place in a  12v aux socket, switch ignition on (important) check trickle charge is charging. The car needs to see the current flow from the charger or (in the case of the 981) the socket will be turned off after around 20 mins. Once checked, switch off ignition, close door over the cable which is easily accommodated by the rubber seal without any cable damage. Lock car , retire for coffee or tea. This is in a garage btw.

I have been keeping the previous 987 and 981 (now) charged with this method for over 5 years

Archived