AOS or drivers side oil scavenge pump problem

Pordave

Once again I have had the dreaded heavy smokey oil cloud when accelerating hard in third round an off camber left hand bend. The EML flashed for about 5 sec and then went out. The car was filled with acrid fumes they then died down and the car ran normally.
The last time this happened the cloud of smoke was so dense the car I had overtaken on a dual carriageway veered from its lane and caused an accident.
I had the AOS replaced about 15 months ago but have since seen comments on other forums that it’s possible the r/hand oil scavenge pump could cause the same effect if incorrectly orientated.
There is no inward suction on removing the oil filler cap and I just get the usual 5 sec puff of  white on startup.

Advice please

Dave

Sounds plausible. Presumably the scavenge pump can be accessed by removing the sump. If the pump seems to be installed correctly, have you looked at the options for refurbishment/replacement? Could get expensive.

Hi Nobbie no I haven’t looked at any solutions or costs. I have no idea of all the cars  history, but Parr’s looked after it for a while. It’s fine in a straight line at full bore it’s just on tight or long left hand bends it occurs.
Maybe I should move to the USA and straight roads rather than live in the Peak Distrct which encourages spirited driving!

Do you have a rough inkling on cost if I were to get it investigated?

cheers Dave

Ignore my earlier about dropping the sump, you may be able to remove straight off the end of the camshaft if you are lucky. Secondhand pumps available for £50, but would need to find a garage happy to fit secondhand parts. This was interesting.

5 hours ago, Nobbie said:

Ignore my earlier about dropping the sump, you may be able to remove straight off the end of the camshaft if you are lucky. Secondhand pumps available for £50, but would need to find a garage happy to fit secondhand parts. This was interesting.

Nobbie many thanks for finding the video clip, absolutely brilliant explanation 

cheers Dave

On 6/26/2020 at 10:38 PM, Pordave said:

Once again I have had the dreaded heavy smokey oil cloud when accelerating hard in third round an off camber left hand bend. The EML flashed for about 5 sec and then went out. The car was filled with acrid fumes they then died down and the car ran normally.
The last time this happened the cloud of smoke was so dense the car I had overtaken on a dual carriageway veered from its lane and caused an accident.
I had the AOS replaced about 15 months ago but have since seen comments on other forums that it’s possible the r/hand oil scavenge pump could cause the same effect if incorrectly orientated.
There is no inward suction on removing the oil filler cap and I just get the usual 5 sec puff of  white on startup.

Advice please

Dave

I had exactly the same thing occur with mine. A left hand bend after a round about caused the exact same smoke and EML. I had the codes read and it had registered as a mis-fire on 2 cylinders. After having the codes wiped and driving the car (with a bit more caution on such bends) I have not had the issue again.

This was all a matter of weeks after having the AOS replaced. 

Trigden.

I am glad I’m not the only one to have this problem. Sad though it may be as it’s not in the nature of the car to compromise on its driving heritage, but I too have modified the use of  high revs and aggressive cornering on left hand bends.

The fact that I can replicate the problem at will worries me along with fears of hydraulic lock.

I have yet to decide whether to investigate further or just live with the old girls foibles as you do.

How long have you had yours and how many miles has it done. 
I’ve had mine 18 months and it’s done 141k

9 hours ago, Pordave said:

Trigden.

I am glad I’m not the only one to have this problem. Sad though it may be as it’s not in the nature of the car to compromise on its driving heritage, but I too have modified the use of  high revs and aggressive cornering on left hand bends.

The fact that I can replicate the problem at will worries me along with fears of hydraulic lock.

I have yet to decide whether to investigate further or just live with the old girls foibles as you do.

How long have you had yours and how many miles has it done. 
I’ve had mine 18 months and it’s done 141k

I have only had the car for 4 months and it's at 97k. Since then I have been on many spirited drives and never had the issue since thankfully. 

From some reading on the American forums, it appears that Boxsters that are tracked or raced will experience this and they have some remedial solutions (baffled sump etc I belive) however it is not a route I will consider for a moderately used road car. 

Archived