Improve the handling of the 981 - X73

daz05

59 minutes ago, Ringmaster999 said:

Think my mind is made up. Spoke to my OPC today about retro fitting the x73 kit complete onto my Boxster. It’s got to be done. I’ll make the decision in the next week. Why not eh😂👍

Now THAT’S an option worth having. And it’s quiet...

• Haha 1

On this topic I've had some comments back from the Cayman community raving about the rear ARB.

Just to update you, to enhance the combination I've also recently increased the front camber a tad and increased the toe in slightly.

The reason for the adjustment was that my car was very eager to turn in before (had very slight toe out up front) this was ok before but with the stiffer ARB it was more obvious so I've dialled in some toe in to calm that down a little.

Front camber was sitting toward the lower end at 0°25' so I wanted a bit more to provide more grip under cornering. I think you can max it out to around 1°30' mine is just below 1° now. I may experiment going further but will try this first.

I haven't amended the rear end at all my car is all within spec toe in toward the higher end which I think is a good match for the stiffer ARB on the road.

Edited by daz05
  • Thanks 1

That is interesting @daz05.

Having had my rattle fix I have had the geometry set.  Would be good to compare as I am considering front spacers and the .14 rear bar.  My geometry is:

Front

Camber -0°30'

Toe 0°03'

Rear

Camber -1°18

Toe 0°08

20 minutes ago, lofi said:

That is interesting @daz05.

Having had my rattle fix I have had the geometry set.  Would be good to compare as I am considering front spacers and the .14 rear bar.  My geometry is:

Front

Camber -0°30'

Toe 0°03'

Rear

Camber -1°18

Toe 0°08

Looks good to me, mine is now approximately

Front 0.45° and 0.03 ish

Rear 1°20 and 1°25 and 0°10

So very similar, I would be tempted to increase front camber and reduce camber and toe in at the rear next as mine is closer to the upper end. 

Thanks @daz05 that gives me a comparison for the effect of the .14 rear bar. The rear is stood up a bit on mine to keep it a bit mobile with the front a little less aggressive so as not to have it too wayward at the rear. I’d like a it a bit sharper at the front and so rather than change to geo I thought I’d either try the .14 bar or put 5 or 7mm spacers on the front 

• 1 year later...

@daz05 I had the standard 718 cayman S pdk. The standard sway bar on the front is 99134370515 and on the rear is 98133370314.  If I want to upgrade to a 718 thicker sway bar, which one do I go for?  Base on the parts catalog by carid, should I go for the gts bar(F:14/R:17) or sport suspensions (F:16/R:16)? This is confusing. Please help. 

IMG-20230320-WA0000.jpg

Screenshot_20230320_001215_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230320_001130_Chrome.jpg

Sorry I'm not sure I follow, sounds like you already have a 718 so you don't need to do anything, Porsche already modded it for you.

However, if you want to go even stiffer at the back then go for the rear @arb 98133370315 or 16. I'm not sure it will make a significant difference but why not.

Yes I have a 718 cayman s pdk with no sport pasm /pasm. The standard sway bar on the front is 99134370515 and on the rear is 98133370314(already x73). I am trying to upgrade both front and rear but staying oem. Just wanna ask if you know which is the correct pair of sway bar to change. 😄

Edited by 718cs7878

The right answer is neither but it depends what you deem to be an upgrade. On the 718 they stiffened the rear with a brace and increased the arb stiffness relative to the front which has a nice effect on the handling, I personally wouldn't bother messing with the arbs. 

You could upgrade your base suspension and get the full sports suspension package.

I provided stiffer bar part numbers for the rear above, 15 and 16 are marginally stiffer than the 14 you already have at the rear.

For the front you could go for 99134370516, or 99134370511 is marginally stiffer than your 15 but by stiffening the front by more than you can at the rear you would be reversing the good work Porsche has done already. Don't do it.

• Sad 1