Clutch replacement query, which engine do I have?

box100

I’d be grateful for some advice. My 2005 2.7 987 has some clutch judder when pulling away, careful use of revs can minimise, but it’s not ideal and the pedal bites very high. I’m assuming it needs a new clutch.Its 133000 miles.

I recall reading that it makes sense to change another bearing at the same time, but that depends on when the engine was manufactured. What complicates it on my car is the engine was replaced in 2008 (by OPC under warranty), I believe the 2008 engines were slightly different, so would they have installed the newer version in mine and if so would that affect the bearing issue?

A 2008 replacement engine from Porsche would have the bigger bearing that you can’t replace without taking the engine out. Failures on there are virtually unheard of, so just go ahead with the clutch change if the garage confirm. Worthwhile checking if the Rear Main Seal is leaking Causing a damp oily patch on the bottom of the bell housing, as this is easily replaced when the gearbox is off.

Thanks for the replies, I did try to look at the engine number but where it’s parked makes viewing it difficult. The last comment about replacement engines being like for like makes sense to me so if I assume it is a 2005 engine what else should I request when I have the clutch change? I’ve seen Autowerke in Norwich show as slightly over £700 for a clutch. Does the flywheel tend to need replacing as well?

I have just had a clutch replaced , my car is September 05 but the engine number states its an 06 engine . The bearing is of the larger type fitted internally inside the engine , i had this checked when the clutch was replaced , also had and oil change and RMS too , all this cost £680 which i thought was very reasonable 

Archived