Leak from water pump gasket

GmanB

Took the car in for a minor service the other day and I was a little worried as something was leaking from underneath car. I thought it was oil, but turns out it was coolant leaking from the pump gasket and picking up crude before dripping on the ground. It's not a massive amount, leaves a patch about the size of a drinks coaster after a run. 

I actually have a pierburg water pump and wahler thermostat I purchased a while back so it's pretty much going to be labour. 

Is it common for the gasket to go?

Thanks

I have no idea whether the gasket fails but bearing in mind the age of your vehicle and having a new pump it makes sense to change it.

A small tip but worth mentioning if you're going to diy draw a line around the gasket holes onto a piece of paper and insure the removed bolts go into the corresponding traced holes-the reason being the bolt lengths are different!

43 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

I have no idea whether the gasket fails but bearing in mind the age of your vehicle and having a new pump it makes sense to change it.

A small tip but worth mentioning if you're going to diy draw a line around the gasket holes onto a piece of paper and insure the removed bolts go into the corresponding traced holes-the reason being the bolt lengths are different!

Thanks for the reply, thankfully I won't be touching it. 😂

10 hours ago, GmanB said:

Took the car in for a minor service the other day and I was a little worried as something was leaking from underneath car. I thought it was oil, but turns out it was coolant leaking from the pump gasket and picking up crude before dripping on the ground. It's not a massive amount, leaves a patch about the size of a drinks coaster after a run. 

I actually have a pierburg water pump and wahler thermostat I purchased a while back so it's pretty much going to be labour. 

Is it common for the gasket to go?

Thanks

I’ve never heard of the gasket going, not sure how it would fail since it’s a strip of metal with raised V groove which compresses as the cover is tightened. As above, could be coming out through the bearing of the water pump in the early stages of failure when the heat soak raises the coolant pressure when you turn the engine off.

Archived