Headlamp bulb upgrade

718as

Could I show my ignorance ? are these bulbs a straight plug and play replacement ? some time back I was reading about the need to also fit ballast and some wiring changes to get improved lighting but that  may have been some other type of lighting.

I don't think you can legally change to LEDs using aftermarket parts. The Ultinons are great though - excellent beam pattern and fantastic brightness. They don't dazzle other users in the same way as lots of other, cheaper bulbs, although I do get interference on FM radio. I'm about to swap mine back for the standard halogens before my upcoming MOT though, just to be safe. I'll check out the possibility of suppressing the interference then.

45 minutes ago, michelin said:

I thought all 981’s had xenon as standard 🤔 

981S yes.

The standard xenon's, the low power versions,25w are useless! I upgraded mine along with the ballast boxes to 35w. I also upgraded the main beam to nightbreakers and am very happy with the results. 

Tried LED in my 981 (2.7) and the alarm kept activating after I turned the engine off and locked the car after a few minuets.

Guvs.

10 minutes ago, Guvs said:

Tried LED in my 981 (2.7) and the alarm kept activating after I turned the engine off and locked the car after a few minuets.

Guvs.

Bach's Minuet in G Major plays havoc with my alarm 🙂

2 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

Did you use cheap leds?

Ye, they weren't expensive, do you know what ones don't effect the ECU after the ignition is turned off and alarm is activated ? 

Guvs.

12 hours ago, Guvs said:

Ye, they weren't expensive, do you know what ones don't effect the ECU after the ignition is turned off and alarm is activated ? 

Guvs.

I used Philips leds from horizon leds, I had no problem apart from the nearside flickering for about five minutes when the ambient temperature was around freezing. I now use the Philips ultinon(the ones I linked above) in my motorbike with no issues at all. With hindsight I would have put these in my 987.2, they’re better made and more compact with the igniters and heat sinks built in. 

not willing to spend that sort of money on them just yet may just wait until my next car and make sure they have LED's as standard, but thanks for the info.

Guvs.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived