Cabin heater blower seems poor

sa utah

I`ve never been happy with the cabin heater in my 987 Boxster and at this time of year really notice it.       The actual force of the air coming from say the dash vents is poor.  The fan speed control seems to work from low all the way up to high and i`ve fitted a new cabin filter (also ran without the filter to check) and it`s just hopeless.      The temperature of the air coming out seems right it`s just the poor velocity of the air.

As an example my MX5 heater is so good that you have to turn the temp down when you have the roof down as it can get too hot !

Any advice ion what to check?

Interesting. I've suffered with the same problems with my 987 Cayman; never seems to be too much air coming from the vents, never seems to be very warm, generally lacklustre. It's also suffered something rotten with steaming up in cold weather, and it's funny how a poor environment like this in the cabin can affect the enjoyment of the car. 

My 944 has a superb heater and will clear windscreen fog in very little time at all (and doesn't have air-con). I can't believe that Porsche cabin environment control has gone this far backwards so assume there is a fault with my Cayman, but have never found out what it is. 

Sa Utah, I'm watching this thread with interest. And am glad that I am not the only one with the problem! Thanks for posting. 

23 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Have you set it to only one exit (screen or dash, not both)?

Have you checked it is equally weak at each exit?

yes,  Done all the usual.   It`s very poor airflow even from just one outlet .   i`ve been out in it this morning with the roof down and it was pretty much useless as there`s so little airflow that the heat doesn`t reach your feet and certainly wont warm up your hands if you direct the dash vents towards you.  

OK. I don't notice mine so can't help you (maybe mine's as bad as yours, I just don't know), as I always rely on the heated seats to keep me warm, don't like the constant noise of the blower.  Do you have heated seats?

Thinking of it, I have used it to blow cold air during summer, and that seems OK....  is yours just as weak with hot and cold air?

Yes it`s just as bad hot or cold.    I`ve got heated seats but again I think they`re poor compared to the Mazda and one of the other cars !       I`ve a friend with a 987 the same age as mine so I`ll have a look at that this week hopefully.    

I presume you're getting poor airflow even when you're directing the air to one area only - screen, face or footwells? 

What you're describing appears to be a fault. I would see if you can get the car put onto a PIWIS and see if there are any faults stored with the HVAC flap control valves and ascertain if they are moving when forced to using the PIWIS. 

My car is a 987 and heats up rapidly. It does get a bit too hot though fairly quickly. So-much-so that you cannot hold your fingers to the vent for any length of time.

It does not have the low temperature thermostat fitted either but I'm not sure that would make any difference. 

Well the car gets warm quickly so there’s no issue with the thermostat etc as this was done when I had a new water pump fitted.  

The flaps I’d imagine work as I can direct air to the screen, dash vents and the footwells.  I think if there was an issue with those I’d have air coming from unexpected / unselected areas. 

Archived