Small hose on back of intake

Remodot

Hi folks, I removed the intake on top of the engine to get to the starter motor. There is a small bore hose which went down into the engine area, looks like it should not be connected, but I'm not sure. It is seen in the pictures with end arrowed.

Any advice on whether end with yellow band should be connected to something?

Thanks

gheIxD4.jpg

cEoswUz.jpg

After a bit of thought this must be a vacuum hose, does it plug into underside if airintake as shown I'm picture below?

2FXcyM9.jpg

Have a look at this link. Its for the 986 but I believe its the same arrangement for 987 Its seems to to go to the small block in the centre of the picture to the electric change over valve

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/66666-vacuum-diagram.html

Looks like that is what it is and best access to the change over valve is by removing the alternator. 

Another problem I am having it getting the throttle body and cross over back on. On the 987 the tube linking these looks longer that on a 986. there is a single stud and bolt with holds the throttle body in place and I cant get it lined up - back to it tomorrow and try again. just as well car is off the road for the winter 🤣🤣

Got the vacuum pipe on. Bit embarrassing in the end, after a lot of reading what others have done and removing cabin panel to remove the alternator I had a closer look at the pump and it actually slide up and out making it easy😡😡. Took a bit of effort but it did lift out. The large short pice of hose to the throttle body has been tougher but think its almost there, I have put it on and just need to pick up a mirror to check it's on all the way around.

dvWtZct.jpg

Xo8hPyo.jpg

G27PXmJ.jpg

• Like 1

I put everything back together today, including new air filter. Old one was just a year old, 6k miles, but as I had engine cover off and euro parts had 37% off I replaced it. 

Anyway car started OK, fast idle seemed a bit erratic, took it for a spin to warm engine up, seemed to drive well with no issues, however when idling it soimds and feels a bit rough. Ticks over at around 800rpm but needle fluctuating by around 100 rpm. 

Any thoughts? Could I have damaged something or maybe kinked a vacuum pipe? It would be good to have some pointers before I remove the engine cover again.

Thanks

• 9 months later...
On 1/12/2021 at 4:40 PM, Remodot said:

I put everything back together today, including new air filter. Old one was just a year old, 6k miles, but as I had engine cover off and euro parts had 37% off I replaced it. 

Anyway car started OK, fast idle seemed a bit erratic, took it for a spin to warm engine up, seemed to drive well with no issues, however when idling it soimds and feels a bit rough. Ticks over at around 800rpm but needle fluctuating by around 100 rpm. 

Any thoughts? Could I have damaged something or maybe kinked a vacuum pipe? It would be good to have some pointers before I remove the engine cover again.

Thanks

Did you ever manage to get this fixed? 

Hi, yes I did. I no longer have a Boxster, but from more I did post the fault. It was the large dia connection. Tubes, can't remember the name sorry, that wend from the throttle body, it wasn't correctly connected on the underside so was drawing air. I found it by using a mirror on a rod to see underside. Reconnected it with a little help of washing liquid and problem solved. Hope that helps.