Factory Fitted PCM

Sanky

For those of you have the Factory fitted PCM in a facelift Boxster, can you tell me.  Do you get the SAT NAV direction and Radio information in the instrument cluster.

@Richard Hamilton, I think I have read post by you on another forum saying that the instrument cluster will need coding?  If I am retrofitting a PCM unit to the car.

24 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

It is the 987 with PCM2.1 that needs the instrument cluster (and other modules) coded to get the directions and radio station to display.  I don't think this feature is available with PCM2.0 in the 986, but I'm sure someone who still has it will chime in.

Found this on the Net, I know it’s a 996 but should be the same I think.

mrPkMnK.jpg

I copy/pasted those steps from the technical bulletin for retrofitting PCM2.0.  Without having a 986 to plug in, I can't say for sure, but with my PIWIS tester running in simulation mode, I can't see the option to activate navigation in the instrument cluster module.  Perhaps it appears when the PCM is installed, or maybe it simply doesn't appear in sim mode.  I can't recall ever having seen it when I have coded OBC for people.  Looking at PET, there aren't separate part numbers for cars with/without navigation, and I suspect that when you get everything connected the direction indicator might just appear by itself.

If you would like a copy of the bulletin, drop me a PM with your email address.

2 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

I copy/pasted those steps from the technical bulletin for retrofitting PCM2.0.  Without having a 986 to plug in, I can't say for sure, but with my PIWIS tester running in simulation mode, I can't see the option to activate navigation in the instrument cluster module.  Perhaps it appears when the PCM is installed, or maybe it simply doesn't appear in sim mode.  I can't recall ever having seen it when I have coded OBC for people.  Looking at PET, there aren't separate part numbers for cars with/without navigation, and I suspect that when you get everything connected the direction indicator might just appear by itself.

If you would like a copy of the bulletin, drop me a PM with your email address.

Thanks Richard,

With PWIS, can you tell the instrument cluster what radio is fitted.  As I think the comms from the PCM is via the CAN bus.  So once it’s installed it may just work.

By the way where in the country are you 😉

The only coding options I can see on PIWIS3 in simulation mode are:
On board computer
Country version
Coding for spoiler
Clock mode
Distance unit
I too think that it will just work when you hook it up.  If the unit you are fitting came out of the same model as yours then the coding of the PCM/Gateway should be OK as it is, otherwise might need tweaking.  Whether the security will kick in is another matter, but you can get it removed if necessary.

Personally, I think you would be far better installing a more modern system.  PCM2.0 is coming up for 20 years old, and it was never up-to-date when it was introduced.  Apart from a decent FM tuner, I think you'll be disappointed by the lack of features.

As per my avatar, I'm in Maidenhead, Berkshire, so not exactly local.

7 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

The only coding options I can see on PIWIS3 in simulation mode are:
On board computer
Country version
Coding for spoiler
Clock mode
Distance unit
I too think that it will just work when you hook it up.  If the unit you are fitting came out of the same model as yours then the coding of the PCM/Gateway should be OK as it is, otherwise might need tweaking.  Whether the security will kick in is another matter, but you can get it removed if necessary.

Personally, I think you would be far better installing a more modern system.  PCM2.0 is coming up for 20 years old, and it was never up-to-date when it was introduced.  Apart from a decent FM tuner, I think you'll be disappointed by the lack of features.

As per my avatar, I'm in Maidenhead, Berkshire, so not exactly local.

I’m contemplating on getting the PCCM plus from Porsche.

Just wanted to confirm with some owners with the standard PCM if they see radio and Nav information in the cluster.

There must be owners out there the factory fitted PCM.

Archived