Rear brake pads

Natplant

Has anyone had trouble removing the pin that hold the brake pads in place? I can not get it to move at all, I don’t want to damage anything, but I’ve tried quite substantial force to the extent it has bent my drift.

8 minutes ago, Natplant said:

Has anyone had trouble removing the pin that hold the brake pads in place? I can not get it to move at all, I don’t want to damage anything, but I’ve tried quite substantial force to the extent it has bent my drift.

Yes, one of mine was a right bugger. Took some solid blows with a substantial drift to finally shift it.

7 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Yes, one of mine was a right bugger. Took some solid blows with a substantial drift to finally shift it.

Did you use heat or just brute force 

1 minute ago, Natplant said:

Did you use heat or just brute force 

Just brute force. I had got to that stage of ‘feck it, this is coming out’. I think a series of blows gradually shocked the rust free, but I was very careful to ensure the drift was accurately positioned for each blow.

To make the job easy you really need the correct size punch and a 4lb hammer.......that makes them budget pretty easily but you need that shock pinpointed correctly to make them shift initially if they have not been removed in a while.......be careful with the hand brake pads, if they have not freed off the rear of the disk you risk / are tempted to brake the retaining springs and they are £20 EACH !

Don't go at it too much with a big hammer, I've known people to chunk the caliper and you'll then be really peed off!

I did the rears on my Cayenne a couple weeks ago, offside came out easy, nearside was seized. To avoid the risk of caliper damage I cut out a small section of the pin and then it tapped out easy. The extra couple of minutes cutting the pin saved a whole world of grief and expense 👍🏻

Archived