Air conn

Kev62

Gas leak

My 981 2.7 2013 is one fantastic car love every minute of driving it. However after only 36,000 miles full service history the air conn gas is escaping. Turns out one of my condensers in the front is leaking. IMO for a car of this quality to have a failed condenser after 8 years and 36,000 miles is poor. Have Porsche fitted low quality parts?? Anyone else suffered similar failures???

Kev it's a common issue they are very exposed to stones and the ducts collect debris that corrode the pipes. I'd say you've done well for them to last 8yrs.

Mine were changed under warranty at around 5 yrs and 25k on it but if a stone has hit the condenser that's just bad luck in my opinion.

Most of us have taken steps to protect the area with mesh, check out my 981 maintenance video on YouTube if you haven't already. 

Edited by daz05
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Kev62 said:

Gas leak

My 981 2.7 2013 is one fantastic car love every minute of driving it. However after only 36,000 miles full service history the air conn gas is escaping. Turns out one of my condensers in the front is leaking. IMO for a car of this quality to have a failed condenser after 8 years and 36,000 miles is poor. Have Porsche fitted low quality parts?? Anyone else suffered similar failures???

Good advice from Daz.

When  the bumper was off for a respray, I took the opportunity to give them a good coating of ACF50. I do this as part of my annual maintenance.

2012 car on 57k miles.

• Like 1

Today I've had my condensers replaced and fitted mesh (custom made in the US). My car has done 49,000. I understand that the air con hasn't worked for years.

It does now. Coooool.

6 minutes ago, McDonald said:

Today I've had my condensers replaced and fitted mesh (custom made in the US). My car has done 49,000. I understand that the air con hasn't worked for years.

It does now. Coooool.

Hi yes I’m looking at fitted some of these also. When my bumper is off will fit some. 

19 hours ago, daz05 said:

Kev it's a common issue they are very exposed to stones and the ducts collect debris that corrode the pipes. I'd say you've done well for them to last 8yrs.

Mine were changed under warranty at around 5 yrs and 25k on it but if a stone has hit the condenser that's just bad luck in my opinion.

Most of us have taken steps to protect the area with mesh, check out my 981 maintenance video on YouTube if you haven't already. 

Hi daz 

guess your right everything I read says that. I’m having both replaced, only one is leaking but with front coming off I’ll get both done. Also intend fitting some additional mesh while the nose is off. 

do you have. Link to your utube vid 

cheers

kev

34 minutes ago, Kev62 said:

Hi daz 

guess your right everything I read says that. I’m having both replaced, only one is leaking but with front coming off I’ll get both done. Also intend fitting some additional mesh while the nose is off. 

do you have. Link to your utube vid 

cheers

kev

Here you go and the link to the mesh I recommend is in the video description if watch in Youtube.

Plenty of other vids to help encourage you to upgrade other bits and pieces too. 😂

Hitting the like button and subscribing also appreciated if you have a Google account. Cheers.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, daz05 said:

Here you go and the link to the mesh I recommend is in the video description if watch in Youtube.

Plenty of other vids to help encourage you to upgrade other bits and pieces too. 😂

Hitting the like button and subscribing also appreciated if you have a Google account. Cheers.

Many thanks Daz  much appreciated 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I just took my 2014 2.7 981 into Reading OPC as my a/c was blowing warm air, just got the call and video to show that both condensers are leaking. Only good news is that replacement is covered by warranty as its not accident damage. So glad I renewed last October! At OPC prices the warranty has just paid for itself. I agree though it seems wrong that these parts fail. I'm at 20k miles. Best call I've had from an OPC ever! 

• 2 months later...
On 5/26/2021 at 8:12 AM, Kev62 said:

Many thanks Daz  much appreciated 

Hi Daz re the front grill covers. I am in the process of fitting some to my 981 2013 model. Re the painted fins in the front grills, I can remove the outside of these and the centre clips but cannot seem to get the thicker end inner connections to come away. Are there any hidden clips that require parting you video just shows that you pull them from the centre but I am almost pulling to breaking point and no joy. 

any advice gratefully received.