Coolant (very) low - which one to get ?

Medic-one

Just decided to check the coolant level after buying the car 2 weeks ago and having been for a couple little blasts in this hot weather this week, and I noticed it's very low 😱

My car is parked on my drive, which is on a bit of a slope, not sure if that makes much difference in this cars.... 

20210601-131014.jpg 

20210601-131033.jpg  
20210601-131130.jpg

Temp has been normal on the dials, and not had any warning lights, but obviously need to top this up straight away before driving it again.  What's the best coolant people use for these cars ? And how much will it take roughly when it's this low ? 

Check it on the level. If it is low and you are losing coolant then obviously you need k address the root cause. 

Panic over, put it on the straight and it only needed a little bit to get below the max line again. 

Probably overreacted a bit, but had coolant issues with the Jag for a few years and spend a fortune on getting it sorted with the last bill being over 2.5 grand so don't like coolant issues... 😁

You can just use deionised water if it’s only a litre or so, these take about 18 litres from memory, so you not diluting it that much. Maybe add some UV dye so you can see where it’s leaking from with a UV torch. You can get kits on eBay for £10-15. Just seen your reply and I’d keep an eye on it as they shouldn’t need topping up at all. Front coolant pipes on these are a known weak point that start to weep. Better to sort sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

I found with mine that if I fill it to ‘Max’ it will lose about a cup full over about the next 100miles. I think it leaks from the cap inside the engine bay.

It then sits just above ‘Min’ and never loses any more. My eyesight is not what it was so I’ve made a dip stick to check the level.

I was lead to believe that the alloy in the engine is sensitive to which coolant is used so I bought a litre of the official Porsche stuff which was expensive, but if you are only using a little bit it’s not too bad. 

• Like 1