Cutting out

Muddy

Hi all,

any ideas please, boxster cutting out for probably a second or two at very low revs never does it when putting the foot down and at only a few mph.  Sometimes on a run never happens. Guess fuel or electrics just not wanting a permanent cut out.

cheers muddy 

Internet guesses 

throttle position sensor or brake light switch.   Car has spooky electronics related to brake switch and does “odd things” when it thinks the brake isn’t “off”. By that I mean not pressed enough to make the lights come on but the “resting position” isn’t showing as “foot off the brake” 

Thanks Paul had no idea that brake was associated with throttle control. Perhaps worth playing with brake on and bit of throttle. One of those how do you check. Have read about dirty throttle sensor worth a clean l guess.

cheers 

7 minutes ago, Muddy said:

Thanks Paul had no idea that brake was associated with throttle control. Perhaps worth playing with brake on and bit of throttle. One of those how do you check. Have read about dirty throttle sensor worth a clean l guess.

cheers 

The brake switch has a “pedal is not touched” and a brake light “on” mode. Several folks have reported sudden drops on revs and needing to lift of throttle and reapply and it’s been down the the switch.  

it’s not a black and white scenario because for sure you can press both together and it doesn’t kill the revs but there is something there.  

Thanks that makes sense it happens so quick but thinking back in slow motion l recall lifting throttle and then pressing and power back on. Assume this is only a blip and won’t result in total loss of power.

cheers muddy 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Muddy said:

Anyone got any simple ideas l can try before digging deeper both my pockets and car, seems like maybe an issue you live with 

cheers Muddy 

Swap the brake light switch for one from a breakers.  ?

17 minutes ago, JonSta said:

Hmmm. If you try left foot braking it will kill the throttle. Sadly and somewhat annoyingly.

It’s not quite as black and white as far as I understand. Perhaps it’s the difference between “touching the brake” and pressing the brake.  

dunno   Just one of those things that comes up and eventually people find a thread give it a try and the problem goes away   Never seen a detailed tech explanation and since I have a pdk pressing both pedals really ****es it off so I can’t prove empirically