Back of the envelope cost per mile

_ian

I really can't mention this to my partner, because she'll go mental, but I do need to share it. Not too long ago I mentioned to my father that I'd only driven the Boxster about 600 miles in the last year. To which his response was "so how much is that costing you per mile?"

I got the car back from the shop yesterday and it's just amazing. I winced while paying the bill, but 2 minutes later I was thinking "this is how the car is supposed to be".

Just did the back of the envelope math. It looks like we're at about £7/mile (insurance, parking, two visits to the garage). It's paid for so I'll ignore cost of capital. Off to the Lake District next week, so we'll bring that per mile figure down a long way.

But it does make me think that if I'd sold it 3 years ago and bought more Square shares I could have bought a GT3. Though Square shares paid for my MBA so I can't complain too much...

Thanks for the Square Shares tip. Looks like it's done well but it's tech, and tech is frothy. If you'd sold your 987 three years ago and bought more Square Shares then perhaps you could have bought a GT3 (or perhaps not; if your 987 was worth £8k three years ago (which is a guess) and Square was worth about 61.6 then you'd be up to about £30k now, which wouldn't even get you halfway to the cheapest GT3 on Autotrader).

Alternatively you may have lost quite a lot of the value if the shares hadn't done as well as they have. And by buying a 987 you have had the use of a cracking little sports car for the last three years; you just should have used it more! 

(And 987's have probably appreciated in the last three years, so there's other reasons to be happy as well!)