Retrofitting cruise control

BBB

A vague “how to” based on my recent experiences.

My 987.1 did not have cruise control fitted when I bought it. One SP30 later, I decided it would be a useful addition.

Porsche have designed retrofitting to be relatively easy. There are two areas that need doing: a physical installation of the new stalk and ancillaries and telling the car that the new hardware exists.

1. New hardware

I went for a kit that had all the pieces in it. Parr and Rose Passion had the items to order and the latter was cheaper at the time. Expect to pay around £300 for new parts. Alternatively source second hand pieces but I had been searching for a while and none had come up.

Kit part number: 997 044 903 00

You'll need

- cruise control stalk

- a new lower steering wheel lower cowl (some people have carefully cut the shape out of the existing cowl)

- two small torx screws to fit the stalk

- a link cable

Unlatch the steering wheel position adjuster and pull the wheel fully forward and upwards. You may need to keep adjusting the position in the next steps to get better access.

Removing the old cowl was simple except for a tethered cable tie at the rear, which I ended up cutting in frustration. Apparently it does pop out if you compress the fixing, but I couldn’t do that. The new stalk fits into an obvious space but I could only use the screw that went in from behind to attach it. The front screw hole was blocked by a translucent plastic ring at the base of the steering wheel. Using only one screw has been absolutely fine and the stalk is held tightly.

Attach the link cable by pushing either end into the socket in the back of new stalk and then the other end into an empty socket just above.

Put the new cowl back on and you've finished the installation.

2. Coding the new stalk.

I had this done at a local Indy. The steps below are copied from instructions from @Richard Hamilton

using PWIS

1.  complete Control Module Search

2. code DME

3. code Instrument Cluster>vehicle variants

4. code Steering Wheel Electronics

5. ignition off>on

6. complete Control Module Search and clear fault codes

I had my local Indy do this and it didn’t work! The light came on in the dash, but it would not set a speed. After two hours they gave up and said I’d have to come back later and try again.

Much reading later suggested that the fault could be a defective upper clutch pedal switch or brake pedal switch. Both of these interrupt the cruise control if you press either pedal. I replaced the upper clutch switch and it made no difference, but changing the brake pedal switch cured it and the whole system now works. I was surprised as my brake lights worked fine, so consider changing the switch if you have problems. Part number 996 613 113 01, about £18.

To change the switch, open the door fully wide, push the drivers seat fully back and lie on your back on the sill, with your head under the dash. There is a plastic, square ventilation duct that can be pulled down after removing one torx screw. The switch rotates 90 degrees and then pulls out. Disconnect the wires using a small flat blade screwdriver and put the new switch on (it can only go in one way). The new switch pushes in and turns a quarter turn with a push and quite a bit of pressure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just a note that if you want to source second hand stalks, try eBay.com (the US Site).  Cruise was/is standard in the USA, hence more parts are available.  Search for 'Porsche 987 turn signal switches' and you'll find the sellers who don't know the value of the cruise stalk!  Like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/183454305746

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2