Poll - 981 reliability thread

Stuno1

981 reliability poll, please state your issues if you have had them. This will help others and is a common question.   

31 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had issues with your 981?

• Yes, several issues but all under £500 to repair
    • Yes several major issues, all over £500 to repair
    • A mix of minor and major issues.
    • No issues at all.

One year into my two year warranty. 

Two issues, the heater fan stopping & the known brake pedal bush issue; neither fixed when I turned up at Porsche Leicester as the problems 'weren't present' when I arrived. To get them fixed, I need to book in when they are present apparently 😕

Edited by muddypaws
spelling

23 minutes ago, muddypaws said:

One year into my two year warranty. 

Two issues, the heater fan stopping & the known brake pedal bush issue; neither fixed when I turned up at Porsche Leicester as the problems 'weren't present' when I arrived. To get them fixed, I need to book in when they are present apparently 😕

These are easily done yourself as usually the fan just needs a nudge and is easily accessible under the frunk cover.  The bush is just a bush x2, so can be swapped out and given it's on your brakes I'd be keen to get that done.

981 Sticking Brake Pedal | Porsche Forum from Porsche Club GB

2 hours ago, GTSMarky said:

These are easily done yourself as usually the fan just needs a nudge and is easily accessible under the frunk cover.  The bush is just a bush x2, so can be swapped out and given it's on your brakes I'd be keen to get that done.

981 Sticking Brake Pedal | Porsche Forum from Porsche Club GB

Thanks - I'm aware of the fan blade 'nudge' & bush issues, but seeing as I have paid for a 2 yr warranty, I wanted them sorting;  the OPC seems to place obstacles in the way of a repair. 

Fair enough & I agree with you unless of course you're having an immediate issue with either?  What's not to like about getting your car sorted and ragging one of their loaners around for a day or two.  I had a 911 GTS Cabrio for the best part of a week & pleased to say I was glad to get my car back, but this was years ago.

My Sept 17 reg BGTS had the fan stick once and nothing with the bush & when I checked with the supplying OPC years back they said it wasn't needed on my VIN..

2016 Cayman, the spoiler actuator extended but would not retract fully £900.00 to replace then the PSE seized and needed replacement £2500.  Both issues covered by the warranty which is due for renewal next month.

15 minutes ago, TrevTee said:

2016 Cayman, the spoiler actuator extended but would not retract fully £900.00 to replace then the PSE seized and needed replacement £2500.  Both issues covered by the warranty which is due for renewal next month.

Was it just the actuators? A lot of folk seem to say if they are greased and checked regularly they should be ok. 

Both actuators, as a unit, were replaced twice. They come pre-set from the factory and simply bolt on, but the first replacement would not retract the spoiler fully so they had to get a second unit.  I can't see why they cannot be adjusted on the car, but OPC said not.  There is a dash warning if they do not extend/retract correctly, maybe they don't want to risk making it worse by adjusting on the car.

I’ve had my 981S. 6 years and done 30k miles I’ve had the following issues all fixed under warranty, none caused the car to be undriveable.

- replacement PSE due to stuck actuators  (5 year old /30k miles). Approx £2500.
- Active drivetrain mounts. Both  replaced at around 15k and 22k miles. £1000 part + 3-4 hrs Labour (each)
- Interior fan resistor/regulator pack replacement. Under £500.

Edited by Greenman

49 minutes ago, Greenman said:

I’ve had my 981S. 6 years and done 30k miles I’ve had the following issues all fixed under warranty, none caused the car to be undriveable.

- replacement PSE due to stuck actuators  (5 year old /30k miles). Approx £2500.
- Active drivetrain mounts. Both  replaced at around 15k and 22k miles. £1000 part + 3-4 hrs Labour (each)

you've had x2 sets of active mounts fail?

1 hour ago, GTSMarky said:

you've had x2 sets of active mounts fail?

No.   Each side failed separately.    So each side has been replaced separately, cost each time being around £1000 + Labour.   Yes just reading my sentence above I see how you could have interpreted it that way. But would be very worrying if that was the case.

I was informed by the Porsche technician that the mounts had been modified  so replacements shouldn’t in theory fail, whether that’s true I couldn’t say.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Greenman said:

No.   Each side failed separately.    So each side has been replaced separately, cost each time being around £1000 + Labour.   Yes just reading my sentence above I see how you could have interpreted it that way. But would be very worrying if that was the case.

I was informed by the Porsche technician that the mounts had been modified  so replacements shouldn’t in theory fail, whether that’s true I couldn’t say.

English comprehension was never my strong point, but I also figured you'd have to be really unlucky for that to happen on both sides twice!

Thanks for the clarification.

On 12/14/2021 at 9:12 AM, Greenman said:

Is that the one that is located under the glove box and causes the fan to not stop unless you pull the fuse? I got a replacement and fixed it myself - probably under £50, plus a lot swearing and grazed knuckles as access isn't easy 🙂

A couple of weeks ago I had a cooling system warning come up. After several hours of diagnosis and checking of various control valves they thought it was a faulty brake booster pump. Which it must have been as error message now gone. Bill came to just shy of £1300 😮 £1k of which was labour

7 minutes ago, smartin said:

Is that the one that is located under the glove box and causes the fan to not stop unless you pull the fuse? I got a replacement and fixed it myself - probably under £50, plus a lot swearing and grazed knuckles as access isn't easy 🙂

There’s a common fault where the interior fan gets stuck and doesn’t blow, usually you can flip the frunk and give it a spin with you hand and is ok again for a period (various threads on here covering this).  I had this issue and manually restarted fan maybe 4-5 times, but then it wouldn’t go at all.  Took it in and said regulator/resistor pack was replaced, fan has been perfect since (2-3 years). 

I suspect what is happening is that something in the regulator pack is going out of spec resulting in insufficient start current being sent to the fan, which can cause an intermittent non starting fan.  In my case this progressed and failed completely replacement fixing the issue completely.  In other cases the fan issue just persists. Porsche have been known to replace the fan itself to try to fix the issue but I bet 90% of these type of cases are that regulator pack.

1 minute ago, Greenman said:

There’s a common fault where the interior fan gets stuck and doesn’t blow, usually you can flip the frunk and give it a spin with you hand and is ok again for a period (various threads on here covering this).  I had this issue and manually restarted fan maybe 4-5 times, but then it wouldn’t go at all.  Took it in and said regulator/resistor pack was replaced, fan has been perfect since (2-3 years). 

I suspect what is happening is that something in the regulator pack is going out of spec resulting in insufficient start current being sent to the fan, which can cause an intermittent non starting fan.  In my case this progressed and failed completely replacement fixing the issue completely.  In other cases the fan issue just persists. Porsche have been known to replace the fan itself to try to fix the issue but I bet 90% of these type of cases are that regulator pack.

I had the sticking fan a few weeks before the won't stop fan issue, so already had done the give a spin trick.

Mine was generally very reliable over the five years I owned it, with one notable exception which is all but unheard which is why Porsche paid for it outside warranty.

2015 Boxster GTS:

10K miles  Fuel pressure valve replacement  (warranty)

22K miles  O/S aircon condenser replacement  £600

22K miles  New short engine due to spark plug failure. £14K (but covered by Porsche under goodwill)