Damper stuck in wheel carrier

Jcn27

Hello all, I've been a member on here a little while and done the odd post but you can expect a lot more question over the next few months as I've got a load of work to do on my car! I have a 2005 987 2.7 that has the usual problem.

I'm current replacing the front strut top mounts and control arms but have hit my first snag.  Managed to get the drop link out using the usual cutting and impact method, swung the strut out thinking it would come straight out the carrier but it appears to be seized solid.  Technically I don't need it out as it doesn't need to be being changed but as I'm going to have it off the car thought it would be prudent to sort it ready for when new shocks are required.

Any advise would be appreciated. 

1 hour ago, TROOPER88 said:

It won't be seized solid. A lump hammer and a block of wood will see it removed in less than 15 seconds :) 

In my experience more like 15 minutes Paul!

30 minutes ago, Jcn27 said:

Thanks, where's best to hit it. I'm always careful when the big hammer comes out, I don't have a great history in hitting things without causing damage!

Tap evenly around the rim of the casting.  Soaking in some Plus Gas or similar could help.  I also did mine still attached to the top mount (which I was replacing too) to work with gravity and a firm fixing.

18 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

In my experience more like 15 minutes Paul!

Tap evenly around the rim of the casting.  Soaking in some Plus Gas or similar could help.  I also did mine still attached to the top mount (which I was replacing too) to work with gravity and a firm fixing.

Then you are not hitting it hard enough Chris 🤣

The hub is incredibly strong and the wood will break long, long before the hub gave up.

Hit it properly and they usually slide straight off 👍🏻