Break light bulb keeps blowing

Andy c

Hi

Im new here and was wondering if anyone would have any ideas to help me out.. 

I have a Porsche Boxster 987 2008 model and my drivers side break light bulb keeps blowing. I have replaced it three times but they all blow straight away. The third time i replaced the bulb in just the bulb housing and tested it worked which it did. but as soon as i put the housing back into the light fitting and put it all back together and started the engine it blew again.. 

Does anyone know of anything i can check or any common faults? ive had the car a few years and never experience this before  

A friend had this on a brake light on a VW a few years ago. I went over and replaced the bulb with an Osram Ultralife - something I use as a default. It's still working to this day. 

Ultralife are a long life bulb and generally last five years. There are other manufacturers that make long life bulbs too, like Ring and Bosch. The Osrams are available cheaply from Car Parts 4 Less though. 

Interestingly, all older model Porsches came with long life bulbs from the factory but, if you buy a replacement from an OPC it's NOT a long life one they supply. 😕

Peugeots, on the other hand, came with cheap bulbs from the factory. Hence the reason so many fail their first MOTs.

1 hour ago, Codfanglers said:

Are the new bulbs all from the same batch? Try swapping the old bulb from the passenger side and fit a new one to the passenger side and see if the driver's side is still blowing.

The above and

Check that the bulb that is blowing has good connections. Especially the earth. Check the earth for as far back as you can. ie to a common group of earths. 

Edited by Hewey
agree with the quote

Any water or damp nearby? Either leaking in by the light fitting, or under the passenger seat where the rear control unit lives (long shot but maybe). Always check under the carpet rather than just on top. Earth point corroded?

I'm presuming you are wearing gloves when fitting them?