Rob

Rob13

Hi @Rob13 - I had similar on my 996 (zillion miles on it turned out to be dead fuel pump) - cranked but didn’t fire.

Common causes of crank but no fire seem to be throttle position sensor (sometimes indicated by the Rev counter needle bouncing as you try and crank) or fuel pump / pump relay.

Mine turned out to be a dead fuel pump.

You should be able to hear the pump prime when you first turn the car on. I couldn’t so followed the below steps as such.

You can make a jumper wire up (plenty of tech articles on web have the details) to bypass the the fuel pump relay. 

With the relay bypassed the pump should just run with ignition on. If it does - happy days - it’s your pump relay.

Mine didn't - so as a sanity check I applied power direct to the pump (battery - put the car on ignition point 1 before removal as not to stuff the alarm up - and battery tray removed and then power to the pump via the connectors using the car battery - my pump still wouldn’t run) - ie a good way to establish pump or relay before dismantling things.

Top of fuel sender and pump connectors below battery tray:

3-A6-B0306-9-DB0-4249-9-D88-0-B6-A50-E65

With connector removed:
AA8-CB6-F0-2-D1-A-4408-8-C57-D4-D807-F7-

Pump out and tested:

B59-EC5-A2-EC7-E-4-EE2-937-F-9-D476170-C

And after a clean up once I popped the new pump in:
F0886-C67-4-E57-43-A0-82-F3-104-CD7-EF9-

Excuse fast typed ramblings - May give you an initial steer / or at least rule the pump / in / out….. 

Plenty of 986 / 996 crank but no start threads out there to give you a flavour - good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Rob13 said:

Hi 2004 2.7 27.000 miles been standing during pandemic now cranks but not starting ,think it's fuel related any ideas most welcome .

I has a similar situation with mine several months ago....went from starting perfectly one day to not firing the next. Turned out the MAf sensor had completely failed. Easy to test...just unplug it and see if it starts.  

Edited by jonogt6
  • Like 1