Double Din fascia

RalphyBMW

I understand there are two different fascia adaptors doe the 986;

Connects2 CT23PO02

Connects2 CT23PO06 / Metra 99-9605b

I went for the *02 version first, partly as it was more readily available and a good deal cheaper. This required a LOT of trimming of the a spare vent assembly to allow the trim to sit flush. A cage is supplied which I fixed in place with hot glue. This cage has specific adjustable clips that screw on to the sides of the head unit.

The fit was ok, and on the plus side it was easy enough to remove the head unit if needs be.

jqjh9pGJ.jpg

hnUEiLhg.jpg

z9kCp4rM.jpg

Recently however I upgraded to a slightly newer head unit, with a slightly larger bezel which then had to sit mostly behind the fascia. This was ok, but fortunately coincided with my being able to get a Metra fascia brought over from the US.

Over the last few days I’ve taken my original vent assembly and modified it to accept the Metra fascia. The fit of this more expensive unit is far better than the cheaper item, and while it did require irreversible modification, it was much easier and is much more secure than the previous item. In addition the fit is definitely better. On the downside the unit now fits from the rear, so any issue with the wiring will mean removing the complete vent assembly.

AfmDRHEv.jpg

MxbTkgQU.jpg

I don’t have a good pic of it in the car just yet, but it looks really good and seems very secure.

Hopefully this will be useful to someone else!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

This is perfect. I'm trying to fit a head unit with the incartec kit which appears to be what you had originally. I was just considering hot glue as an option to fit the cage, so now I'm sold on the idea. Thanks!! 

• Like 1