Indicator packed up

Freddie

Hi all, 

My left turn signal packed up this morning, got beeped at by the ubiquitous white van person up my harris!

The hazards work OK and both turn signals on the dash flash when operating, it's only when I try to indicate left that neither the dash light or the indicator itself flash.

I am aware that there's a common failure where indicators stop self-cancelling - mine does return OK and appears mechanically sound otherwise.

Assuming it's a chat with Steve Strange for a replacement stalk unit?

Many thanks in advance

Hey Freddie.  If you are binning your old stalks could I have them, happy to pay postage.  Mine won't cancel, I took a gamble on another cheap broken one as I saw a fix online but it was missing a bit of original plastic.  I might be able to make one working one with yours. lol.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Freddie said:

it's only when I try to indicate left that neither the dash light or the indicator itself flash.

Logical explanation might be loom wiring to the stalk-possible connector issue to indicator wand would be a good starting point.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Logical explanation might be loom wiring to the stalk-possible connector issue to indicator wand would be a good starting point.

Thanks, yep, I will pull it apart and see what's going on. 

I wondered if the relay may be at fault, but I think I am right in saying that there is one flasher relay #3 on the top row that does the hazards and turn signals, which just flashes whatever is fed through it, I can't see any diagrams that suggest each has it's own flasher relay.

Thanks for your input, I've ordered a replacement stalk set anyway as it will probably come in handy sooner or later.

interesting to note that indicators not self cancelling is a common problem.. mine has started doing this - indicate left, indicator will stay on, and wont self cancel. try and indicate right, indicator wont even stay on. think i've broken the mechanism somewhere in the column... i blame the chicane at donington, where you need to indicate left, but then turn right and turn left, all while indicating left - essentially overriding the self cancelling indicator.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, brillomaster said:

i'll get my preferred indy to have a look when its next in... i dont mind losing the self cancelling function so much, but not being able to indicate right at roundabouts is quite annoying!

Mine does this sometimes as the broken plastic moves about. Try tapping it. 

Edited by Daboy3000
  • Like 1

Will second the left indicator not cancelling, seems to be quite common and a weak point in the design. When it happened to mine, there was a clear crunch from the stalk while pushing it down. If you do need to replace the stalk and don't have cruise control, it's a great opportunity to retro fit it. Should be plenty of threads on here about it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GmanB said:

Will second the left indicator not cancelling, seems to be quite common and a weak point in the design. When it happened to mine, there was a clear crunch from the stalk while pushing it down. If you do need to replace the stalk and don't have cruise control, it's a great opportunity to retro fit it. Should be plenty of threads on here about it. 

I'll check that out, thanks

Hi all,

Quick update - I spent hundred odd quid on a replacement stalk, then after the helpful comments above and a moment of clarity, I decided that before fitting it it might be a good idea to poke the long Deoxit spray nozzle tube right inside the indicator arm assembly and give it a bit of a jiggle and a squirt (ooer missus) and several jiggles later - success, the left indicator now works again! Clearly there has been a build-up of some form of oxidisation, somewhat cleared by Deoxit. 

If it helps others, if you look closely into the opening where the arm goes into the housing, you can just about see the metal terminals, so a spot of electrical lube can be applied and worked in. Not so much as it's dripping into the footwell but just enough to reach the parts you need it to get to.

Oxidisation probably exacerbated by damp conditions of late, even with my car being kept in the garage. To me, subject to debate, it is further justification to keep using the car as regularly as possible throughout the year.

I had some Deoxit left over from giving my old 928 a good going over, this stuff, chuffing expensive but cheaper than a new stalk. Which I bought in haste:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hosa-Deoxit-Contact-Cleaner-Spray/dp/B00006LVEU/ref=sr_1_1?adgrpid=58745382128&gclid=CjwKCAiAp7GcBhA0EiwA9U0mtgVFPdFFj1kNM5tFnzYAJLx8q8wknHr0GEK4fVyulTKxSRTPIVjhyhoCQ-EQAvD_BwE&hvadid=259073458286&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1006662&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=3920962365822240392&hvtargid=kwd-286456768&hydadcr=29653_1712527&keywords=deoxit&qid=1670178061&sr=8-1

Thanks guys, for your input, I may keep the unfitted spare indicator set but if anyone needs one give me a shout.

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

@Freddie did this fix your issues, i think i may be having a similiar problem. My stalks work fine just indicator flashing stops after a few flashs or doesnt come on at all.

Would any brand of elec contact cleaner work? WD CC is only £7, bit different to your suggestion.

11 minutes ago, RichX said:

@Freddie did this fix your issues, i think i may be having a similiar problem. My stalks work fine just indicator flashing stops after a few flashs or doesnt come on at all.

Would any brand of elec contact cleaner work? WD CC is only £7, bit different to your suggestion.

Hi bud,

The contact cleaner did help initially, but the fault came back, so in the end I just replaced the whole unit with a brand new one and it's all fine.

I keep meaning to pull the old one apart t see what was wrong, may even be able to repair and keep on the shelf.

Worth trying the WD one, I think Deoxit leaves a protective residue and came recommended on the 928 forums, 928s being old and full of wires. 

Hope this helps, perhaps update this thread if it does work, helps us all out 👍

Good luck mate

Hi all. I have this issue with my car, seems like lots of others do too..

I've been looking for a replacement indicator unit but they are becoming increasingly rare / expensive.. my worry is a replacement (£120+) will only have a short life before it succumbs to a similar fate ..

I'm on the lookout for a broken 2-stalk unit. With this i aim to strip and re-engineer the broken aspects (happens to be my day-job..)

I have 3D CAD design and plastic and metal printing at my disposal + an electronics test lab..

So if anyone has a broken unit they want to pass on, please message me as i'll pay all postage costs.. I'll then see if i can come up with a 'fix' that can be rolled out to anyone who needs it.

Thanks