981 Headlight Halogen to Xenon Conversion

Jakeb

3 minutes ago, Jakeb said:

what baby wipes are you using as struggling a bit to get some of this off with the cheapos from lidl

Pampers 😂

I'm getting them painted anyway because of the one they didn't coat !

i guess i need something more serious! How many broken lights did you buy and were they xenon. I can't decide whether to stick with the slightly higher power lower reflectors/bulbs from the the Halogen lights i bought as donors (65w v 55w)

• 9 months later...

back on this project as the car is pretty much done bar paint....

Daz, did you have any bits left over as having a conundrum over the lower reflectors. The brackets are broken on mine but i have two good H9 reflectors from the Halogen lights but they are 65W and are slightly different. You can change the bulbs to H11 (55W) but they look different to the normal Xenon setup so suspect using an H11 bulb would be sub-optimal for the reflector setup.

I need to check the total load as I have a set of 35W xenon bulbs and ballasts I was going to use.

Oh, I also bought a really cheap GT4 Left headlight which had a 25W bulb and ballast. Fully working bar the lens needs replacing so debating what to do with than. And then there is pair of PDLS lights i have. Many decisions to be made!

• 2 months later...

Back on the case with this as have an MOT booked.........

Test fitting priory to final cleaning and gluing the lenses back on!

ABLVV86t6SQ2K6m6V6rk8iYvQCwdkYswgfQoCU7M

ABLVV878tQhmKnp73PdllVmZoQLxy_hyvxMrnVnM

They looked like this originally......

AL9nZEX_oH4Flr80wkauzP-72urCve7AADLL1aW-

Edited by Jakeb
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

Sucker for punishment

I'm refurbishing my spare pair of 25W GT4 xenons. Also got a set of 35W AFS I am doing as well which will have the outer rings in black to look the same as these

AP1GczOWXmN_ptzNM6m5FJrgkzNk99PWEh4oTR3E

Jakeb,

Those look great! Can I ask how easy it was to remove the old lenses - exactly where do you make the cuts with the multis? Also, how easy was it to remove the old glue bead ? Did you remove it all? How easy was it to reglue the new lens to the body of the headlight with a new bead.

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

My new procedure is

I cut around the outside of the black line to take the edge off, 

Then take a cut side ways in the lens to take main part off - this is the dangerous bit as you can hit the inner trim if you go too deep

That leave a 5-10mm tail stuck in the groove

If the multi-tool blade gets blunt it starts to melt the lens plastic

Break the bottom corner with a pair of side cutters and then pull it out with the help of a stanley knife to break the sealant on each side as you pull it. Occasionally cut off the excess with side cutters (this helps where there is an indent into the casing)

As for sticking new lens in, its about getting as much of the old sealant out and then laying a new bead. I used tiger seal and then strap the lens down and leave for 24hrs. Seems to be similar to original rather than butyl which some people talk about

Edited by Jakeb

240v matika. Only because that is what i have - i tried a dremel and you would be there all night. I looked at an ultrasonic knife but you would need to be doing a lot of them to justify the cost