Think I'm going back to standard trans mounts.

Ninesomething

I replaced them with non-hydraulic 911 items because I thought they were dead. Seemed OK at the time but now I've replaced the front mount - which was the problem all along- I have some vibration just off idle and the back of the car just feels a bit stiff. Which I thought I wanted but now I'm not so sure.....

The hydraulic ones were fine and I still have them.

For a road car I'm sure Porsche designed the best for the car. I'ds go standard.

A bit like rose jointed suspension instead of the standard rubber bushes that I had on my TVR I should think. Great on track but far less compliant on the road...

By front mount do you mean engine mount and rear mount you mean the 2 round gearbox mounts? On my 986 I replaced engine mount with a fresh new standard 987 mount but poly filled standard gearbox mounts. For the engine mount if you go solid or use a poly filled insert there is a fair bit of vibration introduced. 

The front is a lemforder OE insert. The rears are 911 engine mounts from a 964 which are not hydraulic. Like I say - when I did them I noticed a bit more noise in the lower gears but no vibes. After I did the front the vibes turned up. I think because the front was completely split it was hiding the vibes from the rears. It's not OMG but I don't think there's any massive benefit either. I had hardrace engine and 'box mounts in my Subaru and I didn't feel any negatives but I could def feel the benefits. In the boxster the back just just feels too stiff. Probably a benefit on track but not for street.