987 Modded Short Shift Kit Upgrade

ricof

Strange, how time muddles the memory. I definitely shimmed the white plastic block, not sure what else. I think I mentioned it in a previous thread at the time.
yes, it was the side to side slop that was very much improved.

I've done similar to Phazed (indeed it could have been a post from him which inspired me to do the same). 

Shimming the white plastic block is easy; I did it with a bit of aluminium from a drinks can and it helped quite a lot. However I couldn't work out how to remove the centre pin without breaking the assembly so didn't do this. Neither did I install a SSK. 

End result? It's better .... but still not very good. The side-to-side is the problem area; forward-and-backward is quite good. 

I'll watch this thread to see if there are any other easy improvements. 

I've ordered shimstock and shim washers, plus the short shifter kit arrived yesterday. I'll get around to this and plan to use the YouTube video linked earlier, but it's on the to-do list rather than a prority. I'll update the thread when I've done it.

On 8/19/2023 at 12:01 PM, zcacogp said:

I've done similar to Phazed (indeed it could have been a post from him which inspired me to do the same). 

Shimming the white plastic block is easy; I did it with a bit of aluminium from a drinks can and it helped quite a lot. However I couldn't work out how to remove the centre pin without breaking the assembly so didn't do this. Neither did I install a SSK. 

End result? It's better .... but still not very good. The side-to-side is the problem area; forward-and-backward is quite good. 

I'll watch this thread to see if there are any other easy improvements. 

One of the best mods with the Alex SSK is the machined metal cup that sits in the plastic yoke. This is the source of most of the side to side movement. 

There is a product by Function First called Shift Right which is a metal replacement for the entire plastic yoke but it’s fairly expensive for what it is.