987 Modded Short Shift Kit Upgrade

ricof

For a little while i've been a bit frustrated about the amount of slop in the standard 987 shifter, both in neutral and in gears. Fast forward to a lot of research and eventually I settled on a modified version of the 'ebay' short shift kit. There is a user on the 911UK forum called Alex (thanks Chris @½cwt for putting me in touch) who takes the SSK and modifies them so there is absolutely zero play and replaces some of the bushings with machined parts and generally optimises it as well as adding a small machined piece that fits over the shifter ball end to reduce play in the white plastic connector. He also machines part of the unit so it doesn't catch in the housing. His full development thread is here.

You have to remove various trim panels to get access to the shifter mechanism but it's pretty straightforward. You the unclip the shift cables from the shifter housing and unbolt it from the car. Remove the factory shifter (you do need to break the existing plastic bushes) but again, pretty easy. The modded SSK then fits straight in, centre it and tighten the lock nuts on the modified brass bushings and grease it all up. NB: the plastic housing for the new metal bearing key was a bit worn so I had to use some superglue (shown in penultimate photo on the rearmost bush) but that is down to operator error!

Fitting it back into the car is the reverse of removal, you might need to adjust the position of the shift cables in the linkage connectors as I did a couple of times, which is a bit laborious because you have to remove all the trim panels. If I was doing this again i would loosely refit the bare minimum of panels and take the car for a drive (making sure to plug in the centre console electrical connector to avoid airbag lights) so it make any adjustments a bit less of a faff. In the end I needed to use two less threads on the left/right cable and two more on the front/back cable. 

It has made a pretty significant change to the car and it really has a snicky, rifle bolt feel to it. I don't know what the dimensional/percentage reduction in throw is but it is quite pronounced and I would absolutely recommend it. To top it off, I replaced the tired looking factory gear knob and gaiter with a machined unit from IXI Gears in the USA and a black suede gaiter with red stitching from JF Customs on ebay. 

ssk1.jpg%20

ssk2.jpg

ssk3.jpg

ssk4.jpg

gear-knob.jpg

• Like 3

Link worked for me , took me to about p5 of 11-page thread. Couldn’t read all but it was mainly discussing 9x6 shifters, when OP talked about 9x7. And I didn’t see a price. Seems it’s an eBay mech plus fettling cost, plus postage there and back. 

16 minutes ago, huytonman said:

I was interested in the development thread via your "here" link but its not working for me, I get the following response "phpBB : Critical Error

Error creating new session"

Keith

Me too.

It is a forum error on 911uk as someone interested in my 996 can’t access the running thread! I have fitted one of these to my 996 and from memory, it’s a one way change that can’t be reversed (mine definitely couldn’t be). From memory it’s around £150/£160 and it makes a big change to the driving experience. 
I hope the 9X6 is interchangeable with the 9X7 unit as I have bought a complete unit with one of Alex’s modified mechanisms fitted in case I ever bought another car. Still undecided if I am going to fit it or not. If I drive the cars back to back, I am definitely going to fit it but otherwise, I quite like the gear change on the 986!

1 hour ago, Crudeoink said:

I'd be very interested in one of these also! Perhaps when someone does get through we could organise a group buy of them for us BoXa members ? 

1 hour ago, Hainesy said:

It's their forum software shyateting the bed by the look of it - same for me.  Someone just needs to give it a kick I expect.  Am curious to know how much it cost as well in the meantime - looks tidy.

I’ve emailed Alex as a courtesy to ask if I can pass his contact details on. 

I paid £170 delivered. 

46 minutes ago, TV8 said:

It is a forum error on 911uk as someone interested in my 996 can’t access the running thread! I have fitted one of these to my 996 and from memory, it’s a one way change that can’t be reversed (mine definitely couldn’t be). From memory it’s around £150/£160 and it makes a big change to the driving experience. 
I hope the 9X6 is interchangeable with the 9X7 unit as I have bought a complete unit with one of Alex’s modified mechanisms fitted in case I ever bought another car. Still undecided if I am going to fit it or not. If I drive the cars back to back, I am definitely going to fit it but otherwise, I quite like the gear change on the 986!

Yes they fit 986, 987 and 997. 

• Thanks 3

8 hours ago, ricof said:

Yes they fit 986, 987 and 997. 

Thanks.

Handy that as I have my 9x6 shift assembly still that I replaced with a 9x7.  Could get the kit and sell the 9x7 to some one who wants a shorter throw on their 9x6, or or if I don't like it, sell the 9x6 shifter with the kit fitted.

2 hours ago, JonSta said:

This is quite tempting although my shifter isn't 'that' bad but it is a bit loose feeling.

Did you use the OEM green plastic thingy to adjust the cables?

Flop aside, the shift feels much more positive. The green plastic thing doesn’t fit the SSK but it’s quite straightforward if a bit faffy to get right. 

When I bought my RS60 I was always disappointed with the gear change. It was okay-ish, but I always thought it could be better..

I changed the gearshift assembly for a genuine Porsche item, also replaced the cables. This improve matters, but I was still disappointed.

After about two years I thought I would have another go. I had seen a few videos on YouTube where owners had shimmed the assembly to take out the slack, (sideways slack). I did this using an old pair of feeler gauges finding the correct thickness finger and making a shim from this. Pretty easy using the bit of knowledge gained from YouTube and the improvement was brilliant.

I should have done this with the original set up and saved myself a few bob as this is pretty much a no cost improvement.

The improvement is really noticeable when I use the car on track as especially changing gear from the 2nd to 3rd gear was a bit hit and miss. Fine on the road but when you are pressing on you want a more precise feel.

On 8/14/2023 at 8:56 AM, phazed said:

When I bought my RS60 I was always disappointed with the gear change. It was okay-ish, but I always thought it could be better..

I changed the gearshift assembly for a genuine Porsche item, also replaced the cables. This improve matters, but I was still disappointed.

After about two years I thought I would have another go. I had seen a few videos on YouTube where owners had shimmed the assembly to take out the slack, (sideways slack). I did this using an old pair of feeler gauges finding the correct thickness finger and making a shim from this. Pretty easy using the bit of knowledge gained from YouTube and the improvement was brilliant.

I should have done this with the original set up and saved myself a few bob as this is pretty much a no cost improvement.

The improvement is really noticeable when I use the car on track as especially changing gear from the 2nd to 3rd gear was a bit hit and miss. Fine on the road but when you are pressing on you want a more precise feel.

Didn’t you change the gear change cables as well? 

12 hours ago, JonSta said:

I'm guessing this is the vid that shows you how to do the shifter mod...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iJv0wI72aRg&pp=ygUWU2hpbW1pbmcgYm94c3RlciBzaGlmdA%3D%3D

That is correct. I used this video but did not replace the bushing.