Is it hard to daily a 981 spyder

swang

Like driving around town for groceries, school runs, etc. with the hood up. I’ve heard the nose is very low, is it gonna be an issue with normal London speed bumps? I really like the 981 spyder, I’m sure it makes a great weekend fun car, but it will the most expensive car I ever bought, can’t help but thinking I want to drive it as much as possible.

Noise and general refinement are in my experience little different from a standard car unless you plan a lot of longer distance drives.  Visibility is poorer so could be an issue for parking etc - rear view camera is a must.  Roof design is not optimised for opening and closing every five minutes but is also not as much of an issue as many make out, a little over a minute with practice.  I’m lucky that we don’t have many speed humps locally - care is needed over any higher obstacle but no more so than for my GRY.  I’ve had mine close to 6 years now and it’s the most enjoyable car I’ve owned but I’ve always run a more “sensible” car alongside.  PM me if you have any specific questions.

My Spyder is a 718. Speed humps are not an issue and taller ones can be taken at an angle. The potholes/roads/cobbles in Edinburgh make in town driving not a viable option due to the stiffer suspension. Out of town and continental touring are a different story. I agree with above , the roof is not as bad as made out. But great cars.

I’ve a 718 Spyder and drive it as much as possible. Care over speed humps and it’s fine.  Only issue is access to rear boot if the roof is up.  

I’d get on and go for it.  Mine’s a keeper and I can’t see me changing it for anything.

981 has the unfiltered exhaust so nice noise!

There’s a very active WhatsApp Spyder group (Craig’s Spyder Club) - they’ve just been raving about 981s on it today. 

Watching as have the same concerns , would rather a 981 but not available over here, one 718 for sale in country so considering making an offer on it after a test drive. Had a 981S which gave me the flat six PSE howl I crave again. Current boxster and C4S don’t sound as good 😕