Help! Door lock not working anymore..

sential

Hi all, I have a 2003 Boxster S, the other day went to drive it, electric locking had turned itself off so put the key in door and turned but nothing, just freely turned.
Called out a breakdown company and they couldn't break in as the glass fits too high into door and would certainly break.
Tried to find the cable to open front hood (The breakdown guy was going to disconnect battery and then reconnect in the hope that would enable the electric locking? Don't know if that would work?) but no sign of it in either arch. (Did have that problem before and Cotswold Porsche did something but they cant remember as was years ago)
No idea what to do or try now. Any ideas?
Thank you..

Did they take out the arch liners to search for the cable pull? They can be hidden away in the back of the headlight and difficult to spot if you don’t know what you’re looking for. Any chance you have a dead battery? Normally the remote stops after a few days, but you can reawaken by turning the key in the lock anti-clockwise a quarter turn. Does it do this or does it just spin? 

Hi Nobbie, arch liners not removed no, so that was probably the problem..
Battery is fine, as the constant setting off of car alarm testified to.. :)
Key seems to move very freely in lock so I think it must be disconnected inside by some means. Doesnt actually spin, stops at each end of quarter turn.

1 hour ago, sential said:

Hi Nobbie, arch liners not removed no, so that was probably the problem..
Battery is fine, as the constant setting off of car alarm testified to.. :)
Key seems to move very freely in lock so I think it must be disconnected inside by some means. Doesnt actually spin, stops at each end of quarter turn.

When I changed my lock I forgot to connect the key linkage and had the same issue when I left the car for a week. Time to take off the wheel liners. Hope you didn’t leave the locking wheel nut key in the car🤔

2 hours ago, Nobbie said:

When I changed my lock I forgot to connect the key linkage and had the same issue when I left the car for a week. Time to take off the wheel liners. Hope you didn’t leave the locking wheel nut key in the car🤔

That's exactly where it is :(

• Sad 1

It's known here to relocate the cable pull to behind the towing eye, try there.

And try asking Cotswold if they have a usual place to relocate it to.

Edited by Menoporsche
  • Like 1

Just fixed my door lock with this issue

You need this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133171412383?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=LU70wwLXRZ-&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=94GDXqaaTzq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

And follow these instructions

I had to do a bit of filing to the new part to get it to turn smoothly (casting imperfections)

• Like 1

My drivers door will not open from the outside but will from the inside. 
key fobs are flat, batteries ordered.

Do you think I have this problem above with my lock? Key will not unlock it from the outside.

14 minutes ago, phazed said:

My drivers door will not open from the outside but will from the inside. 
key fobs are flat, batteries ordered.

Do you think I have this problem above with my lock? Key will not unlock it from the outside.

I had this on my 996

That black plastic thing is for the handle and hangs on the latch - it was attached but working

There should be a metal threaded pin which is attached to the handle and then goes into the black plastic thing.  Mine had rusted away to nothing - 2nd pic.  So it was sliding up and down inside the black plastic thing or loose or something - just not actuating the door latch as intended. 

20221105-134152.jpg

20221112-152823.jpg