Lightweight Aluminium Flywheel

markjh

2 minutes ago, map said:

I was under the impression that the dual mass element provided damping to improve refinement - that's part of the reason for the "Bag O Spanners" sound on single piece flywheels (LWFW)

Happy to learn something else.

Oh yeah

I thought Dual Mass was Dual because it is heavy at low revs to stop car stalling so easy and then light at higher revs to allow car to rev more freely.  Now I am not so sure what I am talking about....

A dual mass flywheel doesn't change weight so it can't be lighter at high revs. It's mainly for NVH and you also get the rotational effect off throttle too. 

It's effectively a damper. If a car didn't have a damper but a solid connecting rod then all the impact from the road would transfer straight into the car. 

• Thanks 1

I had this dilemma last time I uprated a clutch to deal with more torque. 

ICEs don't provide a constant torque, they pulse with every ignition. The flywheel smooths out the pulses to some extent and the DMF de-couples the clutch/gearbox side from the crankshaft with long springs to provide a more constant rotational speed clutch side. Result is the pulses don't transfer into the gearbox and cause backlash in the spinning gears at idle (making it sound like a bag of spanners).

The clutch manufacturer I spoke to advocated one of their SMFs for "feel and response" and a twin friction clutch plate using larger softer springs to partially compensate. Also stating DMFs had no place in performance cars.

I stuck with a DMF and an uprated cover with organic plate to avoid judder that sintered clutches can be prone to. Any gearbox chatter at idle would drive me mad.

23 hours ago, Codfanglers said:

I had this dilemma last time I uprated a clutch to deal with more torque. 

ICEs don't provide a constant torque, they pulse with every ignition. The flywheel smooths out the pulses to some extent and the DMF de-couples the clutch/gearbox side from the crankshaft with long springs to provide a more constant rotational speed clutch side. Result is the pulses don't transfer into the gearbox and cause backlash in the spinning gears at idle (making it sound like a bag of spanners).

The clutch manufacturer I spoke to advocated one of their SMFs for "feel and response" and a twin friction clutch plate using larger softer springs to partially compensate. Also stating DMFs had no place in performance cars.

I stuck with a DMF and an uprated cover with organic plate to avoid judder that sintered clutches can be prone to. Any gearbox chatter at idle would drive me mad.

Have you got any links to the uprated cover and organic plate please?

22 hours ago, ricof said:

Have you got any links to the uprated cover and organic plate please?

Here's a link to RTS but they don't list any clutches for Porsche. May be worth a call, they were more than willing to discuss my requirements and gave me a discounted price.

https://rtsperformance.co.uk/featured-products/performance-clutch-kits/

https://rtsperformance.co.uk/product/clutch-kit-rts-6006-smf/