17" Tyres

Johnny5

***MODS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO MOVE IF IN WRONG PLACE***

Greetings All,

I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Sport 2 N rated on my 17" wheeled 987 2.7 Boxster, standard OEM sizes (205/55 17 and 235/50 17).

I don't care in the least whether I have N rated tyres, or not.  I've just got them because, literally, the ONLY premium sports tyres still available in my sizes are the N rated ones - Michelin PS2, Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric version 1, and until recently there used to be a Continental Sportcontact 3, but I can't find any of them now.  (There's also a Pirelli sports winter tyre, but I'm looking for summer tyres).

I can't say I've loved the PS2s.  I admit I'm biased - I've never got on with the feel of (any) Michelin tyres.  I was always a continental man, on my E36 328i, 130i and Clio 182.  I just had no choice last time and had to buy what was available.

My question to the learned collective is, has anyone tried both Michelin PS2 and Goodyear Assymetric version 1, and if so, what was the difference in feel?

Thanks

Hi, I had exactly the same tyres as you but in the other way round.  The Goodyear F1, understeered at low speeds, (rounderbouts etc) my biggest issue was if I left the car in the garage for 2-3 weeks, the tyres would develop a flat spot, it went away, but took a few miles. I got rid of them after about 4k miles,  and changed to PS2, never had a flat spot and no understeer.  Have got a set of conti winter tyres are they are great. All 17". So kind of the opposite experience to yourself, but tyres are about feel and confidence,  and individual style of driving,  and ...availability!!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I've been very impressed with GY Asym 6.

Yeah.  I hear good things about them.  Unfortunately, it's not available in my sizes, and I want to keep it OEM, size wise.

2 hours ago, Johnny5 said:

Yeah.  I hear good things about them.  Unfortunately, it's not available in my sizes, and I want to keep it OEM, size wise.

Why? If you go with the sizes I mentioned, you have far better performing tyres, often cheaper and the ONLY concession you have to make is that your speedometer will read 62mph when you are travelling at 60mph.

You're hobbling yourself with the old tyre tech.

This is useful to calculate the range of tyres that could fit your wheels. In general, lower sidewalls, the second number in for example 255/45, the stiffer the ride as there is less material to flex. That can improve “feel” making it more direct, but more crashy. I prefer smaller sidewalls at the expense of comfort, but it’s a personal choice.

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tools/fit-the-tyre-to-the-rim/9-00x19

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BBB said:

This is useful to calculate the range of tyres that could fit your wheels. In general, lower sidewalls, the second number in for example 255/45, the stiffer the ride as there is less material to flex. That can improve “feel” making it more direct, but more crashy. I prefer smaller sidewalls at the expense of comfort, but it’s a personal choice.

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tools/fit-the-tyre-to-the-rim/9-00x19

And throw in standard or extra (XL) load to the mix on stiffness of the tyre.