OEM Reversing camera install

Jakeb

I recently bought a Cayman rear bumper (to replace my accident damaged one) which had the factory camera installed. Incidentally, I accidentally bought a Boxster rear bumper (they are very slightly different) in white if anyone needs one it is for sale

I then wondered what might be required to wire it to the PCM (an up to date 3.1 with v4.5) and, after looking at both the factory and Kufatec looms, bought this from Ali Express for about 30 quid!

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802480268777.html

S3306286a84d44409a3d0c6b27f3454a2E.jpg

Kufatecs version for 1600EU!
https://www.kufatec.com/en/porsche/cayman/cayman-981/complete-set-rear-view-camera-for-porsche-cayman-981-44116

No instructions included but looks essentially the same as the kufatec one and fits the factory camera. You have the camera cable and then the 2x canbus (orange cables), power and earth

Should be simple in theory....... Has anyone done this? Very limited information out there but from what i have read I reckon the following!

PCM wise I am assuming

CANBUS - do these just connect into the existing ones?
iCanLow (orange/brown)
iCanHi (orange/purple)

CAMERA (need to work out which wire is which)
CVBS+
CVBS-

POWER (from second diagram)
5A Fuse - Right Box, Row B, Fuse3
GP21 - Right Side of Dash

pcm3pinout_a9a4eeab94e184ad53b91b7a3bd63

screen_shot_2020_12_28_at_4_26_43_pm_9cd

And then it will need some coding... (from one of the aftermarket solutions)

"If coding via PIWIS SCANNER Visit your Porsche Dealer or Indy Shop who is equipped with Porsche Piwis Scanner. PCM 3.1 must be coded to accept the backup camera. Boot Piwis, select your model (i.e 981/991/Panamera/Macan), Scan all modules, select PCM Module, Erase any present Fault Codes, some codes may remain in memory and cannot be erased that’s fine it’s very common to have random errors when scanning PCM. Now click Coding > Manual Coding > Click F12 > Select “Reversing Camera” or “Rear Park Assist + Camera” depending on the PCM Version sometimes the “Reversing Camera Option” will not show up alone if that’s the case you have to select “rear park assist + reverse camera” make sure the box is checked > Select F8 and code. Exit from Piwis Scanner. Power PCM, push “CAR” Button then “Options” Then “ SET CAR “ and you should see the backup camera settings. Congrats your PCM is now coded."

Edited by Jakeb

Nice project ! I think you've just about worked it out. I personally don't like reverse cameras so I've never done it but this is what I know.

Yes connect to canbus wires which will link into the can gateway.

2 is negative.

This likely also needs coding in the gateway module.

Thanks - yes I wasn't too bothered about the camera but as it has one I thought I would at least put a plug on it to protect the connectors and then I got wondering if it was possible.

Any tips on what would need coding in the gateway would be helpful. I don't actually have PIWIS so will have to get someone to code it for me.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Jakeb said:

Thanks - yes I wasn't too bothered about the camera but as it has one I thought I would at least put a plug on it to protect the connectors and then I got wondering if it was possible.

Any tips on what would need coding in the gateway would be helpful. I don't actually have PIWIS so will have to get someone to code it for me.

Thanks

Coder will know just needs turning on in list.

Not done this and will bow to others with more relevant experience but I would be surprised if the canbus connections didn’t have their own separate connection point somewhere rather then being joined to the ones already on the pcm.  

if you are going to do that be very careful with your “splices/joins” - Canbus is a communication bus and depends on differences in the hi and low voltages to generate signals so you don’t want interference on them.   

there is a connector supplied on the loom and the pins already installed. I suspect its a case of removing the current can pins from the pcm and then plugging them into the loom but i need to check. Lack of instructions is excellent. I was hoping to find a copy of the kufatec one and their coding dongle would be useful.... I will see if i can pretend that i want to buy one but "need to see the instructions" first......

You can buy the full install kit with the camera from them which, if it works, makes some of the aftermarket boxes seem a bit pricey. The loom seems very good quality - will take some pics.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805344019588.html

I was going to try plugging the camera into my isudar board but from what i hear its a bit iffy compared to the direct setup

Edited by Jakeb