"Porsche" Emblem Template

Dermot

I want to put the "Porsche" lettering rear bonnet on my new 981.  I have no guidelines as the letters have already been removed.

There are templates at silly prices.  

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUTEMP981BGTS.html

I read somewhere there may be a template ion the workshop manual?  Any insights on this ?

3 hours ago, Dermot said:

I want to put the "Porsche" lettering rear bonnet on my new 981.  I have no guidelines as the letters have already been removed.

There are templates at silly prices.  

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUTEMP981BGTS.html

I read somewhere there may be a template ion the workshop manual?  Any insights on this ?

I've seen mentions before about there being a template in the workshop manual, but never seen it and don't really understand how it would work - given that it's a large badge, and anyway as there's a physical item (as shown in the Suncoast listing), what would be the point to a workshop of a paper printout?

But even though it's not a template as such, this thread may help (see @Greenman's measurements in the 6th post): 

And probably aslo worth looking at this thread on Rennlist, though from a quick look I'm not sure which photos and measurements are real 'original' factory placements: 

https://rennlist.com/forums/981-forum/1173963-i-need-help-with-a-quick-photo-981-trunk-lid-letters.html

Edit: Just realised the Rennlist thread claims to be about a 981 Cayman, but there's a photo of a Boxster lid there (the red one), so I'll leave it here for reference

Edited by Jon61

I made up a template when I was considering debadging mine.  I didn't de-badge but still got the template.

I wonder if I can make up a printable template, something that can span a few sheets of A4.  Though would need to guarantee it could be printed at exactly the right size.  At least it would be obvious if it wasn't right as the edges wouldn't meet the boot edges.

I'll give it some thought.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2024 at 11:29 AM, Dermot said:

That would be great, I can check it against my old Boxster. Would you like to PM me.

I’ve made a start on this.

Got the measurements done, it was trickier than I thought it would be initially as need to allow for a curved surface on a flat plane (the paper). In other words it didn’t look right, but was right 🫠

Boxster-template.jpg

35 minutes ago, moospeed said:

In other words it didn’t look right, but was right

It was ever thus. 
I think there is no one right answer. You could have following the curve, dead straight, or a combination of both, to taste. And then discuss the spacing between the letters. 

23 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

It was ever thus. 
I think there is no one right answer. You could have following the curve, dead straight, or a combination of both, to taste. And then discuss the spacing between the letters. 

The spacing I've got is as Porsche fitted.

That's the intention here, to make a printable paper template $539.95 less than the part linked on the top post.  Assuming no-one has already done a debadging/rebadging exercise on the 981's compared against previously... 🫠

On 3/19/2024 at 11:47 AM, Menoporsche said:

I believe Porsche chose the OEM placement very carefully to look 'right' from where it's typically viewed - which is more or less horizontally, from behind. The main issue here is that the bootlid curves downwards from side to side, so if the PORSCHE badge was put in a 'straight line' across the boot (ie the way a long strip of paper placed across the lid would naturally lay), then the curve of the lid means that, viewed from behind the car (rather than perpendicularly down onto the bootlid), the badge will appear in a pronounced curve (downwards = frowny) following the curve of the boot. So instead, Porsche put the badge on what looks like a 'smiley' upwards curve when looked down at perpendicularly (see picture below, linked from the Rennlist thread I posted earlier in this thread). When looked at from behind, this looks more straight and natural.

To complicate matters further for the DIY-er, the bottom edge of the bootlid is also curved, but by a different amount. Anyone that has replaced the PORSCHE badge asuming that the letters are a constant distance up from the bottom curved edge will have made the curve too pronounced, so that from behind it will still look distinctly curves upwards - a matter of taste, obviously, but that's not what Porsche themselves went for.

fullsizeoutput_e30_061618b37de23722d2ea2

Another issue that @moospeed may be encountering when making a template, is that as well as curving from side to side, the bootlid also curves slightly from front to back in a compund curve, so that a piece of paper will not lie flat on the bootlid - even if you let it follow the side-to-side curve, it won't be able to truly follow the front-to-back curve - although in the distance up to the lettering, the effect may be minimal. But that's one reason the official template (as sold by Suncoast) is a moulded plastic affair rather than a paper or card template.