987.2 High beam LED replacement

Sentinel261

I did, main and dipped but changed back. Poor light spread and IMHO worse than the standard high beam, just upgrade the halogens to the best you can get. Dipped are the worst, but even then LED's don't improve the vision - just give white instead of yellow beams.

What about a xenons lamp upgrade? Technically an MOT fail but some here have said no tester notices. It’s excellent on my family car. Note you should have projector not reflector lenses for clean beams. 

I tried but couldn't get an LED bulb that fitted in the units, If someone has managed it on the 987.2 I'd like to know how, just didn't seem possible to me. So I went with up-grading the halogens and I'm quite happy with them now. 🙂

Thanks for your replies.

I have fitted dipped headlight LED's and I have to say they are really very good. Great colour and spread, big improvement over standard. Passed MoT too.

Have also upgraded other lights, fogs, interior, boots etc to LED and again great improvement.

Only lights to replace now are mainbeam headlights as these are now relatively poor.

Any suggestions for a LED replacement?

Cheers

On 3/17/2024 at 1:36 PM, Sentinel261 said:

Thanks for your replies.

I have fitted dipped headlight LED's and I have to say they are really very good. Great colour and spread, big improvement over standard. Passed MoT too.

Have also upgraded other lights, fogs, interior, boots etc to LED and again great improvement.

Only lights to replace now are mainbeam headlights as these are now relatively poor.

Any suggestions for a LED replacement?

Cheers

What bulbs did you use if you don't mind me asking? Those I tried just would not physically fit in the headlight unit on my 987.2 😔

14 minutes ago, Gramps said:

What bulbs did you use if you don't mind me asking? Those I tried just would not physically fit in the headlight unit on my 987.2 😔

Hi Gramps, I have a 987.2 

I’ll get the details for you. Leave with me for a couple of days.

11 minutes ago, Sentinel261 said:

Hi Gramps, I have a 987.2 

I’ll get the details for you. Leave with me for a couple of days.

ok thanks, no rush 🙂

Edited by Gramps

7 hours ago, Sentinel261 said:

here you go…..

Main:

Nighteye H7 Led Headlight Bulbs, 350% Extremely Bright H7 Led Bulb 9000LM 72W, Car H7 Led Headlight Conversion Kit, 6500K Cool White Replacement H7 Headlight Bulb (2 PCS) https://amzn.eu/d/14UupIv

Thanks. They look identical to those that I tried, but can't find my cancelled order for them at the mo. How did you get them to fit within the light housing? I just coudn't see a way of fitting them in there with that extra bulk on the end of them, from what I remember anyway 🙄

11 minutes ago, NutsyH said:

That "extra bulk on the end" (the cooling fan) screws off to fit the bulbs into the spring clip holder, then screw back on again.

Ahh. That might explain it 👍. I obviously missed that possibility 🙄

3 hours ago, Gramps said:

Thanks. They look identical to those that I tried, but can't find my cancelled order for them at the mo. How did you get them to fit within the light housing? I just coudn't see a way of fitting them in there with that extra bulk on the end of them, from what I remember anyway 🙄

They have an adapter ring that you use to mount in the light unit. There is adequate room to accommodate the cooling fan on the back of the lamps. 

• Like 1

Having tried just about everything LED wise I now have a solution that works, has a great beam pattern, and no errors.

Dipped beam I use Hikari 2023 Future LED. I have to import them from the USA but boy do they work well. I did get some flicker in cold weather (common on many LED solutions) and so a cheap et of canbus adapters fixed this:-

Hikari LED

https://www.amazon.com/stores/HIKARI/2023FutureSeries/page/36087737-77F0-498E-9E01-CDB263000AEB

Canbus adapter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CCVVW22N?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

For the high beam I used the Novsight N60 H9 Ultra solution:-

https://www.novsights.com/products/9005-h11-led-pro-series-high-power-headlight 

None of this is cheap at all, but they work very, very well. As good as any modern car with a good modern LED solution as standard. No one flashes me and you can see the beam pattern is good. One point to note. The CANBUS system appears to only check the low beam lights - it's a lot more fussy about what it sees. High beam is not an issue and it appears happy with anything you fit.

The Alternative to this is to use Philips Ultinon Pro range. These work perfectly well but, despite their claims, are not very powerful at all. I have used them and replaced them with the above as they simply were not bright enough.

Any questions please ask.

Edited by Ti Rich

• 3 weeks later...

Have you run the car through an MOT with the LEDs in as high beams yet?  I've had no issues with getting mine passed for a couple of years with dipped but figured the high beams were a bit 'obvious'..

4 hours ago, Hainesy said:

Have you run the car through an MOT with the LEDs in as high beams yet?  I've had no issues with getting mine passed for a couple of years with dipped but figured the high beams were a bit 'obvious'..

Not yet sourced and fitted the high beam LED’s. Have them in the low/dipped and went through MoT with no problems.

Need to get back on to the main beam project.

On 4/15/2024 at 6:17 PM, Hainesy said:

I remove the high beams for the MOT, takes a few minutes. The low beams, being projector, are fine to leave in.

Another vote for LEDs. You can definitely get solutions with proper beam patterns. I'd aim for no cooler than 6000K temp. Cooler than that compromises visibility and looks naff / overly blue and very aftermarket. A lot of the LEDs on the market are 6500K and IMO, they're too cool / blue. Not by a huge amount, but a bit.

I'd warn against aftermarket xenons for the high beams. They take too long to warm up to be practical for high beam. Fine for low beam. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve upgraded my dipped beam H7 bulbs to Phillips Ultinon Pro 9100 and they are superb! However I’m also struggling to find a main beam H9 LED bulb that fits, is bright and has no error codes on my Boxster 987.2. If anyone has a recommendation, please let us know 

Edited by mrf193