What have i learnt about my 987

Chukkieegg

Firstly big thanks to both @Cocky luke and @bally4563 mick for the sterling work they have both done on my 987 over the last few weeks they were 2 totally different jobs that became real pigs to do for different reasons but it has made my car more reliable and hopefully a bit nearer to getting it through its mot in next couple of weeks.

But i have also seen work that has been carried out by people before my ownership and it isnt always very well done for instance if you look at the service history there was some clutch work done at approx 80,000 miles so i assumed it had a clutch in reality on closer inspection of the work it was a seal/ring replaced when the clutch failed last september at 119,000 then i got a new clutch flywheel rms and gearbox oil replaced by the garage who did the work and i try to buy as close to oe spec as i can afford so i dont buy the cheapest available.

Now as my second mot approaches since owning the car i realise that ns headlight was replaced at some point last year it went down as advisory as the garage was unable to adust the beam pattern this has got worse and i doubt it will get through mot this time so yesterday i took out the headlight and if u flip off the endcap you can manually adjust the lenses but i can either get it too low or too high compared to the os headlight so i have had to bite the bullet and find a replacement from a breaker. On closer inspection this headlight has been replaced at some point in the past with a cheap aftermarket unit the build quality is nowhere near the same as the os one so i guess at some point the car has had some light front end damage i think this is backed up by the fact the os headlight dosent lock into the locking plate properly and i think the locking plate may be bent but that's something for a future time to reslove.

I could find other things that have been poorly done over its life but i think what i have learned that 2 years after buying my 987 I am now begining to understand where its needs attention and where it doesnt i also now get why mick has created a thread on his new to him 981 and why he has been so through going through it and i know many of u do the same and now it makes total sense to me.

So hopefully replacement headlight will solve the adjustment issue then it will be oil and filter and new handbrake shoes at the same time as mot and then i cant look forward to bringing the car onto to the next stage of my maintenance plan 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chukkieegg said:

Firstly big thanks to both @Cocky luke and @bally4563 mick for the sterling work they have both done on my 987 over the last few weeks they were 2 totally different jobs that became real pigs to do for different reasons but it has made my car more reliable and hopefully a bit nearer to getting it through its mot in next couple of weeks.

But i have also seen work that has been carried out by people before my ownership and it isnt always very well done for instance if you look at the service history there was some clutch work done at approx 80,000 miles so i assumed it had a clutch in reality on closer inspection of the work it was a seal/ring replaced when the clutch failed last september at 119,000 then i got a new clutch flywheel rms and gearbox oil replaced by the garage who did the work and i try to buy as close to oe spec as i can afford so i dont buy the cheapest available.

Now as my second mot approaches since owning the car i realise that ns headlight was replaced at some point last year it went down as advisory as the garage was unable to adust the beam pattern this has got worse and i doubt it will get through mot this time so yesterday i took out the headlight and if u flip off the endcap you can manually adjust the lenses but i can either get it too low or too high compared to the os headlight so i have had to bite the bullet and find a replacement from a breaker. On closer inspection this headlight has been replaced at some point in the past with a cheap aftermarket unit the build quality is nowhere near the same as the os one so i guess at some point the car has had some light front end damage i think this is backed up by the fact the os headlight dosent lock into the locking plate properly and i think the locking plate may be bent but that's something for a future time to reslove.

I could find other things that have been poorly done over its life but i think what i have learned that 2 years after buying my 987 I am now begining to understand where its needs attention and where it doesnt i also now get why mick has created a thread on his new to him 981 and why he has been so through going through it and i know many of u do the same and now it makes total sense to me.

So hopefully replacement headlight will solve the adjustment issue then it will be oil and filter and new handbrake shoes at the same time as mot and then i cant look forward to bringing the car onto to the next stage of my maintenance plan 

I wouldn't read too far into the headlight thing, it's guess work. On the same thought process somebody could simply be where you are with a failed headlight and just went on eBay and bought something. 

I agree on quality however now you have spotted it's aftermarket it was strange you had one clouded headlight and one clear headlight.