Lambda Sensors

Bill Grant

Had a misfire on Bank 1 which I diagnosed to be an O2 sensor fault.  Coil packs already replaced....

Anyway read all the horror stories about extraction and would offer the following advice:- 

1.  Get a 22mm or whatever size Lambda Sensor Full Hexagonal Socket tool for extraction - got mine from eBay 
2. Spray the sensor every day for a week with WD40 

One side came off peachy as the WD had penetrated the rust and loosened it nicely....

The other side needed just a tad blast with a blowtorch but it too gave up the ghost fairly easily.   

Point Worthy of Note:
I replaced the injectors on my Sons Clio Diesel a couple of years ago.  These are renowned for snapping because of corrosion.  As above: a weeks soaking with WD40 penetrated the Corrosion and they came out like Butter... 
WD 40 is able to penetrate the porous corrosion and thereby loosen it.  I wholeheartedly offer this as pragmatic and sound advice.  If in doubt and before you start - soak for some days in advance, your patience WILL PAY DIVIDENDS ! 

I put Copper grease onto the threaded exhaust Colette as well as on the New Lambdas when refitting...

Edited by Bill Grant

Sound advice. I couldn’t remove my 22 year old lambda's, they were as one with the system but as I renewed the whole exhaust system, treated the car to a full set.

All good advice but I would suggest if you are getting “serious” with penetrating oil then plus gas, pb blaster (50/50 mix of acetone and atf - rebuilding a 50 year old Honda bike - it’s like magic ) or just plain “diesel” is a better option than wd40. That’s a jack of all trades “tool in a can” and it’s good but others are “great”

but - it smells so good.  

• Haha 1

I'd agree. PlusGas all the way. 

This is indeed sound advice. For all sorts of rusted parts. Give them a good wire brushing first, and soak. Keep doing it. Then do it again.

Well worth it.