987.1 Ignition key removal

Chigley

Has anyone come across being able to remove your ignition key when the engine is running or you have the key in the ignition "on" position with the engine stopped, I thought the key should only be removable in position "0"? Are there any fixes for this or is the switch internally knackered?

12 hours ago, Chigley said:

Has anyone come across being able to remove your ignition key when the engine is running or you have the key in the ignition "on" position with the engine stopped, I thought the key should only be removable in position "0"? Are there any fixes for this or is the switch internally knackered?

Its an electrical lock to keep the key in place - you shouldn't be able to remove it on pos 1 - I suspect someone previously had a flat battery - the key latches in place - there is a manual removal procedure but folks sometimes prefer violence and force to "handbook and process" and yank the key free with a pair of mole grips because it's "stuck". I can imagine that would damage the lock mechanism - I would also suspect it's part of the "barrel" rather than the switch - but it may be a completely separate part.

There's been no ill treatment to the switch nor barrel for the six years I've had the car and I can't remember the ignition lock being defective. If it's an electro-mechanical lock then I don't know, as, there's nothing apparently amiss mechanically and nothing else is faulty electrically. 

12 minutes ago, Chigley said:

There's been no ill treatment to the switch nor barrel for the six years I've had the car and I can't remember the ignition lock being defective. If it's an electro-mechanical lock then I don't know, as, there's nothing apparently amiss mechanically and nothing else is faulty electrically. 

Ok.  

Must be something else then. You aren’t supposed to be able to remove the key.  

sorry I can’t guess what else it would be. 

good luck fixing it.  

The answer to your question is yes. I had a similar occurrence with my 9861 when I bought it.

You could switch off the ignition and remove the key with the engine still running. It was just the ignition switch that was faulty not the barrel. Renew is a real PITA! Have a look on YouTube and there are people including me who have done this recently on here.

Renew is a real PITA! Have a look on YouTube and there are people including me who have done this recently on here. Easiest method is to go through the drivers vent once removed, scrape off the paint that is dabbed onto the grub screw holding the ignition switch in place and get in there with a very much cut down screwdriver, ground exactly to the right size.