Roof reaches windscreen top then retracts slightly

BBB

Had a great drive yesterday, dodging showers. I had the roof up and then the sun came out, so as I was in traffic at less than 30mph, I lowered the roof while driving. Now the roof comes back fine, but gets to the top of the windscreen and then goes backwards a few millimetres. I now have to manually push the roof forwards or the latch doesn’t reach. All other bits work fine, windows drop etc, just not quite reaching forwards properly.

Any thoughts on why or what to do about it? I wonder if the opening whilst driving has strained the mechanism in some way?

Is the roof fabric properly seating in the channels around door frames?

Noticed my 986 roof behave this way and spotted that the fabric wasn’t correctly seated. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, map said:

Is the roof fabric properly seating in the channels around door frames?

Noticed my 986 roof behave this way and spotted that the fabric wasn’t correctly seated. 

Yes, all good there thanks.

I’ve just solved it, gotta love a bit of self-help.

I put the roof half open and noticed that I could wobble the left roof frame a lot more than the right hand side. The T40 screw that allows length adjustment on the roof control arm (the one with the plastic ball joint caps that breaks) was loose on the left. I made sure that the arms were equal length (30mm from end of arm to centre point of T40 screw) and tightened it. The right hand side was a tiny bit loose as well.

Now the roof parks correctly. It must have been the extra force on the roof, opening it whilst driving, that caused the control arm to lengthen slightly with the loose screw, that caused the problem.

Something else to add to my roof maintenance routine now.

• Like 2