Tyre Insurance

Popolou

I was talking to a few mates when one of them mentionned insurance for the all the rubber on the car. Has anyone heard or better yet, taken out such insurance for the tyres?

At first thought it seems a good idea, but i have no idea what sort of quotes are out there nor whether they cover EU driving.

Any insight?

Regards

Popolou

I asked my local OPC about tyre insurance a few months back. Apparently Porsche no longer run the scheme , but some of the delaerships that provided policies are allowing extensions to the policy , but no new customers to the scheme. From memory of the converstaion I think you have to decide which tyres you are going to insure , Ie you pay per corner for the scheme and not all tyres as a single premium.

To me, insurance is like gambling. There's only one winner.

As a result I would only ever insure:

1) Something that I have to by law (car)

2) Something I could not afford to lose (buildings & contents, health)

And I'll leave everything else to chance.

To me, insurance is like gambling. There's only one winner.

As a result I would only ever insure:

1) Something that I have to by law (car)

2) Something I could not afford to lose (buildings & contents, health)

And I'll leave everything else to chance.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I bought a new microwave last month which cost £50 - the woman serving me asked if I wanted to take out insurance to cover it for 3 years at a cost of £30

WTF!!!!! its a £50 microwave FFS!

I pointed out it was covered under the manufacturers warranty for the first year anyway.

Shame they dont still offer this tyre cover though as it did seem like a good deal given the price.

I pointed out it was covered under the manufacturers warranty for the first year anyway.

Current EC directive states a 2 year minimum for the majority of goods now (which I believe includes microwaves), so you're getting even less for your £30.

And regarding the tyre insurance, Avon used to do free insurance on any (bike) tyres punctured within the first 1000 miles, or that had more than 5mm of tread left (bike tyres only start with about 7mm).

I don't know if they did similar on cars.

Current EC directive states a 2 year minimum for the majority of goods now (which I believe includes microwaves), so you're getting even less for your £30.

products should also have a specified 'life' regardless of warranty. e.g. a company can still be liable for a 42" tv that breaks after 20 months, even if it only had a year's warranty.

or something like that!!

Archived